[KDE/Mac] KDE 4.13

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Sun Apr 27 05:49:33 UTC 2014

On 27/04/2014, at 2:33 PM, Nicolas Pavillon wrote:
> I had a quick try to build the basic ports of KDE, and could build successfully 4.13.0.

That's terrific news, Nicolas.

If you like large jigsaw puzzles with 300 or more pieces, have a look at
the new Palapeli, courtesy of yours truly … :-)

> For what I understand, the transition to Baloo is however far from completed, with nepomuk still mentioned as being required
> for several applications. I intend to wait at least for 4.13.1 before releasing it on MacPorts,

Also, I would like to target the early bug-fix releases of 4.13 for cleanups
of KDE portability problems on Apple OS X.  Would a -devel port be good?

I believe kdelibs is unchanged from 4.12 and Palapeli, Kontact and Baloo
are the main new stuff, ref. http://kde.org/announcements/4.13/

> but I thought that the best approach
> could be to set baloo as a variant for now, but we’ll have to see.

It is alleged that the dependency chain for Nepomuk is reduced in size and
the Baloo chain is quite small.  Did you find those to be actually the case?

> As nepomuk is still required, it is not advised to have both nepomuk and baloo running together, although it is possible. Another
> thing is that since there is also Spotlight on Mac, I am not sure that all users would want two indexing programs running on their
> platform.

There has been a lot of discussion lately on kde-devel about options
to configure Baloo indexing, including turning it off.  The discussions
became so heated that Ben Cooksley shut it down.  Peace has now
been restored and Vishesh Handa (Baloo author) and Lindsay
Mathieson (originator of discussion) are now talking nicely on the
"Alternate Baloo KCM Module" thread and Lindsay has produced
an alternate config module.  I am not sure how much has got into
13.0 or 13.1 (KDE/4.13 branch on git) or is just in master.

I understand that Nepomuk indexing was always turn-offable,
though unavoidable as a dependency.

I keep saying they should wander down to the Apple Store and
have a look at Spotlight, which is neat and unobtrusive and there
when you need it.  But nobody seems to hear … :-)

I think Baloo will be a lot easier to handle on Mac than Nepomuk.

Cheers, Ian W.