[KDE/Mac] State of the KDE/Mac address

Vittorio Giovara vittorio.giovara at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 01:13:14 CET 2009

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 6:58 PM, O <illogical1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> TOPIC NUMBER THE SECOND
> Currently we pull stuff from macports when we need things installed
> and ports are always a moving target. I think it makes sense to set up
> a kde rsync server that has portfiles we need in the versions we know
> work (well). Comments?

it's a good idea, but isn't macports a little sensitive on multiple version
activation?
the activate/deactive jingle should be automatic and i sense some bricks for
apps that need either versions

as Jonas Bar noted, why don't we give the gentoo/alt project a try?
(gentoo/alt is the porting of the emerge program to other systems, but i
don't know its development state)

> TOPIC NUMBER THE THIRD
> I don't have a ppc machine and making packages for 10.4 intel, 10.5
> intel, 10.4 ppc and 10.5 ppc takes a lot of time. In the future (next
> set of packages) I'm only creating 10.5 packages to upload. Then I'll
> _attempt_ 10.4 packages.
> Short version: I'll prioritize work with what I've got. And ppc get
> the short end of the pkg-ing stick (unless someone steps up).

agree (also because i'm your same position :P)

> TOPIC NUMBER THE FOURTH
> Packaging Team: Having macports in a pretty much OK state for "normal
> folk" to contribute, and having spoken to folks like Bill Hoffman
> about using CPack at Camp KDE, after 4.2.0 is release I'm shifting
> gears and working on getting CPack support integrated into KDE.
> This effectively means no more packages from me for anything and I
> will merely stay on in an advisory position :-) Hopefully this'll mean
> that six months from now Mac and Windows will have CPack installers.
> Oh, and we're working with the windows guys on this.

this is very good news! if i get this correctly, we'll have independant kde
apps like mac bundles, won't we?
in the meantime for deploying kde apps, why don't we add a +static variant
to kde and qt stuff?
in this way when we manually create bundles we wouldn't have to set up all
the @executable_path/../Framework stuff inside the bundle!

Amarokers, Marblites, Digikamies on the mac this is your chance to
> shine and help out your favorite application and KDE at the same time.

please don't forget Kile, which is one of the best latex editor non-linux
users crave for!
it'd be fantastic to have a bundle just for that, now that work has started
for porting it to kde4
http://apps.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/kile/index.php?title=KileForKDE4

bye
Vittorio