[KDE/Mac] State of the KDE/Mac address

Jonas Bähr jonas.baehr at web.de
Wed Jan 21 01:03:24 CET 2009

Hi,

Am 20.01.2009 um 18:58 schrieb O:
> [...]
> TOPIC NUMBER THE SECOND
> Currently we pull stuff from macports when we need things installed
> and ports are always a moving target. I think it makes sense to set up
> a kde rsync server that has portfiles we need in the versions we know
> work (well). Comments?

In my eyes the primary goal should be that kde4 works out of the box
with macports. Unfortunately macports isn't very powerfull, at least
for someone who knows i.e. gentoo's portage. The main problems are
that it can only manage *one* version of a port and that you can't
test for variants in the dependencies.

I think we got now all default variants in a state that kde4 works.
The dbus x11 problem is gone since some hours, the default dbus is now
completely launchd based. :-) http://trac.macports.org/ticket/17950#comment
:53

An other issue are different versions of dependencies, where boost
come in mind. But if we run into troubles here, it's either a kde
regression or a bug in the dependency. Both can be fixed.

So, generally I'm against a second macports universe for kde
dependencies, but it may be a good idea to have backups around of
versions we now to work. What exactly is your idea with "a kde rsync
server"?

> TOPIC NUMBER THE THIRD
> I don't have a ppc machine and making packages for 10.4 intel, 10.5
> intel, 10.4 ppc and 10.5 ppc takes a lot of time. In the future (next
> set of packages) I'm only creating 10.5 packages to upload. Then I'll
> _attempt_ 10.4 packages.
> Short version: I'll prioritize work with what I've got. And ppc get
> the short end of the pkg-ing stick (unless someone steps up).

I still got a G4 PowerBook with Tiger laying around. Maybe I'll find
the time to set it up for packaging. One condition though: You have to
write a good howto on techbase ;-)

> TOPIC NUMBER THE FOURTH
> Packaging Team: Having macports in a pretty much OK state for "normal
> folk" to contribute, and having spoken to folks like Bill Hoffman
> about using CPack at Camp KDE, after 4.2.0 is release I'm shifting
> gears and working on getting CPack support integrated into KDE.
> This effectively means no more packages from me for anything and I
> will merely stay on in an advisory position :-) Hopefully this'll mean
> that six months from now Mac and Windows will have CPack installers.
> Oh, and we're working with the windows guys on this.

That sounds excellent!

> I'll try to get this announced on the dot too but things are at the
> point where packaging is pretty simple and we're ready for
> contributors. And if there's no interest well, why bother do it
> anyways. If you'd like to see support for your platform faster (even
> if it's 10.5) it would behoove you to contribute. :-D
>
> Amarokers, Marblites, Digikamies on the mac this is your chance to
> shine and help out your favorite application and KDE at the same time.

I'll though Krusader in the ring ;-) Basically the Portfile is ready,
and in the mean time I got macports commit rights too.