[KDE/Mac] Icons problem (kde4.1 beta w/ Torrent packages)

bkn at ithryn.net bkn at ithryn.net
Sat May 31 16:18:01 CEST 2008

On Sat, 31 May 2008 09:52:43 -0400, Benjamin Reed <rangerrick at befunk.com>
wrote:
> Chris Neugebauer wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> None of my KDE apps are displaying icons. Here's the start of some
>> debug output from a run of Konqueror:
>>
>>     tiger:~ chrisjrn$
> /opt/kde4/bin/konqueror.app/Contents/MacOS/konqueror
>>     konqueror(936)/kdeui (KIconLoader): Error: standard icon theme
>> "oxygen" not found!
>>
>>     QPainter::begin: Cannot paint on a null pixmap
>
> Are you normally starting things from the command-line?  Or finder?
>
> AFAIK starting from the command-line (can) have some issues now, it's
> recommended you use "open" or the finder to run them.
>
> If you're doing this just for debugging purposes, then never mind.  ;)
>
>> It seems as though Oxygen isn't provided by any of your packages
>> (properly, at least).
>
> Strange.  I've seen reports of this, but I don't know why some people
> get it and others don't.
>
> I'll see if I can find a way to reproduce the issue, but if you can find
> anything else, please let me know...

I had this very same problem and was able to fix it. It seems that
kdebase-runtime.pkg doesn't install properly through kde.mpkg. When i tried
installing it by hand using open kdebase-runtime.pkg, the installer ran but
failed. Although i noticed that installer.app never asked for my sudo
password. I then tried sudo open kdebase-runtime.pkg, and that failed too.
What ended up working for me is chown -R USERNAME /opt, then i ran the
installer by hand again, and kdebase-runtime.pkg finally installed -- and i
got icons!

I hope this helps,

btw, i like how the everything.torrent is comprised of multiple files now
and the mac.kde.org webpage looks awesome. Thanks for your work!

 - bkn