[kde-linux] Where is the KDE Trash Can? [SOLVED]

Ralf Mardorf kde.lists at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 11 12:04:56 UTC 2016

On Sat, 11 Jun 2016 11:25:41 +0200, Kevin Krammer wrote:
>On Saturday, 2016-06-11, 09:09:47, Wolfgang Mueller wrote:
>> My method is keeping the name of a file to be deleted and then
>> performing 'find ~ -name <deleted_file>'.
>
>How does your method distinguish between files with the same name from
>different locations?

The OP could create an unique file and if needed move it to a dedicated
device, before putting it into trash and searching it by command line.

[rocketmouse at archlinux tmp]$ ls test*
ls: cannot access 'test*': No such file or directory
[rocketmouse at archlinux tmp]$ touch test-file-$(mcookie).txt
[rocketmouse at archlinux tmp]$ ls test*
test-file-5f63e406b9717f180b2db14daf92d23e.txt
[rocketmouse at archlinux tmp]$ touch test-file-$(mcookie).txt
[rocketmouse at archlinux tmp]$ ls test*
test-file-5f63e406b9717f180b2db14daf92d23e.txt
test-file-d67c48329cafda2d282bf1bf17d1d967.txt

The OP only needs to find the location of trash by an unique test file.

I wonder if the OP used the KDE file manager, to "delete" something
from perhaps a camera connected by USB and maybe included by a virtual
file system.

Now the problem might be, how the KDE file manager behaves when using
e.g. the "delete" key on the keyboard and if there is a trash icon
visible, that perhaps illustrates that something is inside the trash.

I would expect that there is a trash icon, but what is the content
provided by the trash icon? Is it showing the content of all trash
directories of all mounted file systems? IOW ~/.local/share/Trash/
and /mnt/foo/.Trash-1000/ or does it provide the content of one trash
directory only?

I never used trash, even when I used desktop environments. For the last
desktop environment I used, Xfce4, I even didn't install the virtual
file system thingy. Nowadays I don't use desktop environments at all,
I just use some apps from desktop environments.

The OP should be aware, that there is a learning curve when using a
desktop environment. For my taste a window manager and command line are
much easier to use, but they have a learning curve too.

If a user does use trash, the user needs to learn how to use trash. I
guess there's absolutely no need to know where the trash directories
are.

Regards,
Ralf