[kde-linux] Where is the KDE Trash Can? [SOLVED]

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Sun Jun 19 12:39:45 UTC 2016

On Saturday, 2016-06-11, 14:04:56, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Jun 2016 11:25:41 +0200, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> >On Saturday, 2016-06-11, 09:09:47, Wolfgang Mueller wrote:
> >> My method is keeping the name of a file to be deleted and then
> >> performing 'find ~ -name <deleted_file>'.
> >
> >How does your method distinguish between files with the same name from
> >different locations?
>
> The OP could create an unique file and if needed move it to a dedicated
> device, before putting it into trash and searching it by command line.

That would solve the problem of deleting files with the same names either more
than once or from different locations, but it loses the information where the
file was deleted from.

> I wonder if the OP used the KDE file manager, to "delete" something
> from perhaps a camera connected by USB and maybe included by a virtual
> file system.

He wrote that he was using Digikam to delete some photos.

> Now the problem might be, how the KDE file manager behaves when using
> e.g. the "delete" key on the keyboard and if there is a trash icon
> visible, that perhaps illustrates that something is inside the trash.

I think the trash icon's color changes, but I am usually not trashing anything
but prefer deleting instead.
If I trash something for whatever reason I tend to interacti with the trash
applet in my panel.

> I would expect that there is a trash icon, but what is the content
> provided by the trash icon? Is it showing the content of all trash
> directories of all mounted file systems? IOW ~/.local/share/Trash/
> and /mnt/foo/.Trash-1000/ or does it provide the content of one trash
> directory only?

My guess would be all, i.e. a summary of all trash locations, otherwise one
would need one icon per trash location which would get crowded quickly.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring