[kde-linux] Where is the KDE Trash Can? [SOLVED]

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Sat Jun 11 09:25:41 UTC 2016

On Saturday, 2016-06-11, 09:09:47, Wolfgang Mueller wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Jun 2016 18:24 +0200, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > [...]
> > While it might look complicated from our perspective as users,
> > the discussions following up to the specification this is based
> > on shows, that the situation is not as easy as one would think
> > without looking at all the cases that need to be supported.
> >
> > And as Ralf wrote, since there are tools that actually implement
> > the specification, we usally don't need to find these folders
> > ourselves. But since there is a specification and not just some
> > random set of locations we can if we do.
>
> I apologize for contradicting Ralf and you.  Since the location of
> the trash folders is kept secret by KDE (no mention in the manual or
> anywhere else), we actually *have* to find them ourselves.

Well, I just don't see how using a publically available specification can be
considered "keeping something secret".

Do you mean the fact that the software doesn't explicitly advertise that it is
following the specifications for the platform it runs on?

> My
> method is keeping the name of a file to be deleted and then
> performing 'find ~ -name <deleted_file>'.

How does your method distinguish between files with the same name from
different locations?

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring