[kde-linux] Building KDE 4.14.0

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 2 07:35:38 UTC 2014

On 09/01/2014 09:42 PM, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Monday, 2014-09-01, 16:30:04, James Richard Tyrer wrote:

>>> Yes, that is the correct casing.
>>
>> Well, that is certainly an interesting theory, however, I just
>> downloaded Phonon again from:
>>
>> 	http://download.kde.org/stable/phonon/4.7.2/phonon-4.7.2.tar.xz
>>
>> And the include files installed in:
>>
>> 	/usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4/include/phonon
>>
>> I specified only:
>>
>> 	/usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4
>>
>> Please note the lower case.  Obviously, if an include statement is going
>> to find this directory, the case is going to have to match the case of
>> the directory as installed.
>
> But inside that directory there should be a subdirectory Phonon.
> For example the path for AudioOutput for me (Debian, system dev package) is
>
> /usr/include/phonon/Phonon/AudioOutput

Yes, there is also a directory 'Phonon'.  However, that is not the
default installation location for it.  By default, it is installed in:

	${PREFIX}/include/KDE/Phonon

> Like Qt itself, most Qt based libraries have two kinds of headers:
> * all-lower case variants, with -.h suffix
> * camel case variants, wihout any extension.

and it does have header files without suffixes.

> They are both functionally equivalent (well, one includes the other) and it is
> mostly a matter of style which one is used.
> Most developers prefer the camel case variant since it matches the actual
> class name, mostly even including namespace.
>
> Phonon::AudioOutput -> Phonon/AudioOutput.
>
>> Since you say that the upper case is not an error, I will put in a link
>> as a kludge to finish my installation and look into the issue further
>> this evening.  UTC -7 time.
>>
>> For now, I am puzzled.
>
> I am as well. The install procedure should have also installed the camel case
> variant.
The problem would appear to be that the CMake file for KDE do not look
for this include file in its default location.  This would probably mean
that some change was made to the: PhononConfig.cmake file.

But, now it works and I can no longer reproduce the problem.

<SNIP>
>> No, the headers are there.  It is just that the word 'phonon' starts
>> with a lower case 'p'.
>
> So you have phonon/AudioOutput? I.e. the subdir all lowercase but the class
> name camel case?

Yes.  I don't know what it wasn't being found.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch