[kde-linux] Building KDE 4.14.0

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 2 06:14:16 UTC 2014

On 09/01/2014 11:23 AM, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Monday, 2014-09-01, 11:09:17, James Tyrer wrote:
>>>
>>> You mean that there is the actual class missing after /?
>>> Where did you find this?
>>>
>>>    http://www.kde.org/faq.html.
>>
>> No, Kevin, I mean (see hint) that 'phonon' has the first letter in upper
>> case.
>
> Yes, that is the correct casing.

Well, that is certainly an interesting theory, however, I just
downloaded Phonon again from:

	http://download.kde.org/stable/phonon/4.7.2/phonon-4.7.2.tar.xz

And the include files installed in:

	/usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4/include/phonon

I specified only:

	/usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4

Please note the lower case.  Obviously, if an include statement is going
to find this directory, the case is going to have to match the case of
the directory as installed.

Since you say that the upper case is not an error, I will put in a link
as a kludge to finish my installation and look into the issue further
this evening.  UTC -7 time.

For now, I am puzzled.

> Are you on a case insensitive file system and have installed two different
> libraries calling themselves Phonon, one with lower case include directory
> name and one with leading capital?
>
> Usually that is only problematic on Windows where files with different casing
> overwrite each other or on OSX when they are installed in parallel but lookups
> only ever find one variant (case insensitve but case preserving filesystem).

No, I am using the standard Linux file system with UTF-8.

>> I am just now trying to build Gwenview that I just downloaded and
>> I got this:
>>
>> /usr/src/KDE-4.14.0/gwenview-4.14.0/lib/documentview/videoviewadapter.cpp:25
>> :30: fatal error: Phonon/AudioOutput: No such file or directory
>>    #include <Phonon/AudioOutput>
>>                                 ^
>> compilation terminated.
>> make[2]: ***
>> [lib/CMakeFiles/gwenviewlib.dir/documentview/videoviewadapter.o] Error 1
>> make[1]: *** [lib/CMakeFiles/gwenviewlib.dir/all] Error 2
>> make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> Looks like you are missing the headers for Phonon or the build input files for
> gwenview did not find your include base path.

No, the headers are there.  It is just that the word 'phonon' starts
with a lower case 'p'.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch