[kde-linux] Building KDE 4.14.0

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Tue Sep 2 04:42:16 UTC 2014

On Monday, 2014-09-01, 16:30:04, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> On 09/01/2014 11:23 AM, Kevin Krammer wrote:

> >> No, Kevin, I mean (see hint) that 'phonon' has the first letter in upper
> >> case.
> >
> > Yes, that is the correct casing.
>
> Well, that is certainly an interesting theory, however, I just
> downloaded Phonon again from:
>
> 	http://download.kde.org/stable/phonon/4.7.2/phonon-4.7.2.tar.xz
>
> And the include files installed in:
>
> 	/usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4/include/phonon
>
> I specified only:
>
> 	/usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4
>
> Please note the lower case.  Obviously, if an include statement is going
> to find this directory, the case is going to have to match the case of
> the directory as installed.

But inside that directory there should be a subdirectory Phonon.
For example the path for AudioOutput for me (Debian, system dev package) is

/usr/include/phonon/Phonon/AudioOutput

Like Qt itself, most Qt based libraries have two kinds of headers:
* all-lower case variants, with -.h suffix
* camel case variants, wihout any extension.

They are both functionally equivalent (well, one includes the other) and it is
mostly a matter of style which one is used.
Most developers prefer the camel case variant since it matches the actual
class name, mostly even including namespace.

Phonon::AudioOutput -> Phonon/AudioOutput.

> Since you say that the upper case is not an error, I will put in a link
> as a kludge to finish my installation and look into the issue further
> this evening.  UTC -7 time.
>
> For now, I am puzzled.

I am as well. The install procedure should have also installed the camel case
variant.

> >> I am just now trying to build Gwenview that I just downloaded and
> >> I got this:
> >>
> >> /usr/src/KDE-4.14.0/gwenview-4.14.0/lib/documentview/videoviewadapter.cpp
> >> :25>>
> >> :30: fatal error: Phonon/AudioOutput: No such file or directory
> >> :
> >>    #include <Phonon/AudioOutput>
> >>
> >>                                 ^
> >>
> >> compilation terminated.
> >> make[2]: ***
> >> [lib/CMakeFiles/gwenviewlib.dir/documentview/videoviewadapter.o] Error 1
> >> make[1]: *** [lib/CMakeFiles/gwenviewlib.dir/all] Error 2
> >> make: *** [all] Error 2
> >
> > Looks like you are missing the headers for Phonon or the build input files
> > for gwenview did not find your include base path.
>
> No, the headers are there.  It is just that the word 'phonon' starts
> with a lower case 'p'.

So you have phonon/AudioOutput? I.e. the subdir all lowercase but the class
name camel case?

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring