[kde-linux] Hard Disk issues

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Thu Jan 23 05:29:35 UTC 2014

James Tyrer posted on Wed, 22 Jan 2014 21:24:06 -0700 as excerpted:

> The fist strange issue is that KInfoCenter doesn't find my Hard Disk.

Can't help you with that one as I don't have kinfocenter installed in my
"just what I'll use and what that requires" installation at all.  (Which,
given that I follow kde-live-branch and generally have fifty-ish kde
package updates when I update every week or so already... doesn't make me
inclined to add another package I don't actually need to the list, when
the info it would provide is available at the CLI or in other GUI tools.)

> The other problem I am having is with Gnome-Disk-Utility which I
> installed because KDE doesn't do S.M.A.R.T.  I has previously installed
> the command line S.M.A.R.T. tool: smartmontools and set it up to have
> the daemon start at boot.  It appears to be working correctly.
>
> The GUI app: Gnome-Disks works and it finds all of my disks including
> the Hard Disk /dev/hdh.  However, I have a Fedora 15 Live CD and on
> that, Gnome-Disks has more information and some other information that
> it it has to have obtained with S.M.A.R.T.

While I don't have that tool installed either, I'd wonder if one or both
problems are permissions related.  Presumably the liveCD has permissions
adjusted just right... either directly or (more likely) via polkit,
systemd, etc, which I know I don't have nor want on my system here.

The other possibility is optional deps.  IIRC you run LFS and build
everything yourself, right?  Did you check the pre-build configure
options and/or what it detected and didn't detect, thus disabling at
build-time?

Or attack the same thing from a different angle.  Check the gnome-disks
package rpm deps from the liveCD and compare them to yours, working your
way back a level or two for things like udisks, etc.

> Any ideas how to fix KDE so that it sees my disks?
>
> Any Idea what to do to get Gnome-Disks to work with S.M.A.R.T.?
>
> Or, is that an application for KDE that works with S.M.A.R.T.?

Based on previous on-list discussion, there's an open kde feature request
bug for a kde-based smart-monitoring tool, and no such tool in
existence... directly at least.

If I were so inclined, here, I'd probably hack-script my own solution up,
either as a superkaramba theme (my current theme can be seen filling the
top monitor-screen of three, in the screenshot here:
http://wstaw.org/m/2013/05/11/duncan-fullscreen.png ) or yasp-scripted
config (I used that before setting up superkaramba, it's available in kde-
look), or using something like kdialog notifications, based on the CLI
smartmon tool.