[kde-linux] Hard Disk issues

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 23 04:24:06 UTC 2014

The fist strange issue is that KInfoCenter doesn't find my Hard Disk.  I
can't imagine how stupid it is:

root [ / ]# ls /proc/ide/
drivers  hdc  hdd  hdh  ide0  ide1  ide2  ide3
root [ / ]# cat /proc/ide/hdh/model
WDC WD3200AAJB-00J3A0
root [ / ]# cat /proc/ide/hdh/capacity
625142448

The other problem I am having is with Gnome-Disk-Utility which I
installed because KDE doesn't do S.M.A.R.T.  I has previously installed
the command line S.M.A.R.T. tool: smartmontools and set it up to have
the daemon start at boot.  It appears to be working correctly.

The GUI app: Gnome-Disks works and it finds all of my disks including
the Hard Disk /dev/hdh.  However, I have a Fedora 15 Live CD and on
that, Gnome-Disks has more information and some other information that
it it has to have obtained with S.M.A.R.T.

Any ideas how to fix KDE so that it sees my disks?

Any Idea what to do to get Gnome-Disks to work with S.M.A.R.T.?

Or, is that an application for KDE that works with S.M.A.R.T.?

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch