[kde-linux] Hard Disk issues

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 23 18:11:43 UTC 2014

On 01/22/2014 10:29 PM, Duncan wrote:
> James Tyrer posted on Wed, 22 Jan 2014 21:24:06 -0700 as excerpted:
>
>> The fist strange issue is that KInfoCenter doesn't find my Hard Disk.
>
> Can't help you with that one as I don't have kinfocenter installed in my
> "just what I'll use and what that requires" installation at all.  (Which,
> given that I follow kde-live-branch and generally have fifty-ish kde
> package updates when I update every week or so already... doesn't make me
> inclined to add another package I don't actually need to the list, when
> the info it would provide is available at the CLI or in other GUI tools.)

Have you considered writing some scripts? :-)  At least that was what I
did.  I found that having a script that read a text file to tell it what
to do was the most efficient method.

>> The other problem I am having is with Gnome-Disk-Utility which I
>> installed because KDE doesn't do S.M.A.R.T.  I has previously installed
>> the command line S.M.A.R.T. tool: smartmontools and set it up to have
>> the daemon start at boot.  It appears to be working correctly.
>>
>> The GUI app: Gnome-Disks works and it finds all of my disks including
>> the Hard Disk /dev/hdh.  However, I have a Fedora 15 Live CD and on
>> that, Gnome-Disks has more information and some other information that
>> it it has to have obtained with S.M.A.R.T.
>
> While I don't have that tool installed either, I'd wonder if one or both
> problems are permissions related.  Presumably the liveCD has permissions
> adjusted just right... either directly or (more likely) via polkit,
> systemd, etc, which I know I don't have nor want on my system here.

I presume that KInfoCenter managed to find other information by reading
the /proc directory.  I understand that KInfoCenter uses Solid.

> The other possibility is optional deps.  IIRC you run LFS and build
> everything yourself, right?  Did you check the pre-build configure
> options and/or what it detected and didn't detect, thus disabling at
> build-time?
>
> Or attack the same thing from a different angle.  Check the gnome-disks
> package rpm deps from the liveCD and compare them to yours, working your
> way back a level or two for things like udisks, etc.

A live CD only has an ISO of the installed system -- NO RPMs but it is
still a good idea that I will try since the source didn't give much
information on what it might be dependent on.  I will have to download
the RPM and perhaps the SRPM to see if there was anything added.

>> Any ideas how to fix KDE so that it sees my disks?
>>
>> Any Idea what to do to get Gnome-Disks to work with S.M.A.R.T.?
>>
>> Or, is that an application for KDE that works with S.M.A.R.T.?
>
> Based on previous on-list discussion, there's an open kde feature request
> bug for a kde-based smart-monitoring tool, and no such tool in
> existence... directly at least.
>
> If I were so inclined, here, I'd probably hack-script my own solution up,
> either as a superkaramba theme (my current theme can be seen filling the
> top monitor-screen of three, in the screenshot here:
> http://wstaw.org/m/2013/05/11/duncan-fullscreen.png ) or yasp-scripted
> config (I used that before setting up superkaramba, it's available in kde-
> look), or using something like kdialog notifications, based on the CLI
> smartmon tool.

Actually, the Gnome app is nice if I could figure out how to have the
other information working on it.  Perhaps someone could simply port it
to KDE.  I understand that this isn't really that difficult.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch