[kde-linux] copying filenames from dolphin the # character is pasted as %23

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 23 03:54:54 UTC 2014

On 01/16/2014 12:45 PM, yahoo-pier_andreit wrote:
> on my opensuse 13.1 with dolphin and kde 4.11.3 if you select (select
> files do not select filenames) one or more files where the filename
> contains the character "#" (for example try1#123) and paste for example
> in kwrite or libreoffice calc or paste special as unformatted text in
> libreoffice writer the filename will result as the character "#"
> substituted with %23 (for example from try1#123 to try1%23123).
> I tried in libreoffice calc to change character sets and languages in
> the import text windows but without success.
> how to have the correct character pasted??
> manythanx :-) ciao :-) pier

You raise an interesting question.  However, I think that behavior that
you describe is correct since when you copy from a file manager, what
you expect is the URL that can be used to reference the file in any
application and that includes if you pasted it into a Konsole.  What is
happening is that all special characters are being converted to the
%<value> form which might not be needed in all cases however it is
needed in the case of a <blank> which is not recognized by all
applications.

You could report this as a bug, or feature request, that if the URL was
pasted into an editor that special characters should be left in human
readable form.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch