[kde-linux] KDESU doesn't work again with 4.10

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Thu May 23 22:28:08 UTC 2013

On 04/23/2013 12:44 PM, Dale wrote:
> James Tyrer wrote:
>>
>> BTW, when you make changes to you KDE menu, 'desktop' files for that
>> user are created in:
>>
>>      $HOME/.local/share/applications/
>>
>> So, the changes to the 'desktop' file are KDE extensions:
>>
>> X-KDE-SubstituteUID=true
>> X-KDE-Username=root
>>
>> So, now I need help.  I have this 'desktop' file:
>>
>> --------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<
>>

>> [Desktop Entry]
>> Comment=
>> Exec=kfmclient openProfile filemanagement
>> GenericName=File Manager
>> Icon=konqueror
>> Name=Konqueror root
>> NoDisplay=false
>> Path[$e]=/
>> StartupNotify=true
>> Terminal=0
>> TerminalOptions=
>> Type=Application
>> X-DocPath=konqueror/index.html
>> X-KDE-SubstituteUID=true
>> X-KDE-Username=root
>>
>> --------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<
>>

>> created by the menu editor.  The KDESU window open, I enter the root
>> password, click the button, the window disappears, and nothing further
>> happens.  No Konqueror and no error box.
>>
>> Thanks for your assistance so far.
>>

> I don't have a bit of elephant in me so I had to dig a bit.  I found
> this and took a screenshot.  It's attached.  Keep in mind, my little
> icon is on the kicker thingy at the bottom of the screen.  It should
> work either way but just in case.
>
> I got this by right clicking on the icon and looking at the icon
> settings.  It may be properties when on the desktop tho.
>
> Let me know if I can get any more info.  It took me a while to get this
> working here to but once I got it working, it has been a gem.

Following up on this.  I find that there is a great mystery which I
presume is a bug.

Your 'desktop' file works when it is in a menu.

Specifically, there is a menu item under System that correctly opens a
filemanager window as root using KDESU.  However, if you drag this from
the menu to the DeskTop file and "Copy" then it doesn't work.  The KDESU
window pops up and I enter the password correctly, but the filemanager
window NEVER shows up.  :-(.

Thanks again for trying to help.

So, I guess that I will stick to my work around till somebody fixes what
appears to be a bug.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch