[kde-linux] Build failure: kde-workspace-4.10.3

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Tue Jun 18 16:08:29 UTC 2013

James Tyrer posted on Tue, 18 Jun 2013 07:09:25 -0700 as excerpted:

> KDE WorkSpace-4.10.3 fails with this error:
>
> /usr/src/kde-workspace-4.10.3/plasma/generic/scriptengines/
google_gadgets/ggl_package.cpp:244:37:
> error: cannot allocate an object of abstract type 'GadgetBrowserHost'

AFAIK the google-gadgets code is depracated as the gadgets aren't
supported any longer by google themselves.

I just got thru building and trying (and reverting from due to a serious
issue) 4.10.80 aka 4.11-beta1 here on gentoo, and due to gentoo/kde
deciding I needed another hole in my head or some such, in the form of
mandatory semantic-desktop on gentoo now, I did quite some patching of
the new gentoo ebuild scripts in ordered to be able to continue to kill
the semantic-desktop monster.  One of the diffs I processed (and left as
it was since it didn't pertain to my interest) was the google-gadgets
option for some package or another.  Thus my personal knowledge of the
subject, altho I wasn't surprised as I had read about google killing
google-gadgets some months ago.

So given it's unlikely to be of use any longer anyway, I'd say disable
the option entirely... which is probably why I've not run into that issue
here, since I never had it enabled in the first place.

If you'd like, I can track down more specifics about the option...