[kde-linux] Build failure: kde-workspace-4.10.3

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 18 22:59:17 UTC 2013

On 06/18/2013 09:08 AM, Duncan wrote:
> James Tyrer posted on Tue, 18 Jun 2013 07:09:25 -0700 as excerpted:
>
>> KDE WorkSpace-4.10.3 fails with this error:
>>
>> /usr/src/kde-workspace-4.10.3/plasma/generic/scriptengines/
> google_gadgets/ggl_package.cpp:244:37:
>> error: cannot allocate an object of abstract type 'GadgetBrowserHost'
>
> AFAIK the google-gadgets code is depracated as the gadgets aren't
> supported any longer by google themselves.

Probably why it is on an SVN repository.

The old release will not build.  However, the SVN will build with 3
fixes for Glib except that it doesn't work with the current MozJS.

> I just got thru building and trying (and reverting from due to a serious
> issue) 4.10.80 aka 4.11-beta1 here on gentoo, and due to gentoo/kde
> deciding I needed another hole in my head or some such, in the form of
> mandatory semantic-desktop on gentoo now, I did quite some patching of
> the new gentoo ebuild scripts in ordered to be able to continue to kill
> the semantic-desktop monster.  One of the diffs I processed (and left as
> it was since it didn't pertain to my interest) was the google-gadgets
> option for some package or another.  Thus my personal knowledge of the
> subject, altho I wasn't surprised as I had read about google killing
> google-gadgets some months ago.
>
> So given it's unlikely to be of use any longer anyway, I'd say disable
> the option entirely... which is probably why I've not run into that issue
> here, since I never had it enabled in the first place.
>
> If you'd like, I can track down more specifics about the option...

No, if it is obsolete, I will simply discard it.

However, this leaves the mystery of why KDE has not removed it from the
code base.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch