[kde-linux] "The name org.kde.kded was not provided by any .service files"

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Sun Aug 4 12:12:11 UTC 2013

On Sunday, 2013-08-04, James Tyrer wrote:
> On 08/03/2013 04:15 AM, Kevin Krammer wrote:

> > It might be possible that the D-Bus daemon has config to suppress logging
> > of failed activation attemps, since it is mostly a diagnostic tool to
> > check when services don't start that are supposed to start.
>
> No, this was printed as an error message.  I opened applications, in
> this case: Rekonq & Plasma-Desktop from a Konsole so I could see any
> error messages.  I wasn't concerned about the message being printed to
> the console.  I was concerned about the fact that things weren't working
> correctly.
>
> There were errors, not just this message being printed.  I could not
> login to my stock broker in Konqueror or Rekonq and CrossOver was
> unusable.

Hmm. I guess the question is why kded is not registered in the first place, it
should have been started as one of the first things a KDE session does.
It not being there when being addressed points more toward a problem with one
of its plugins, a problem that would most likely not be solved by just having
it start and crash again.

> I will try to be 100% clear about this.  I added the file and both the
> message _and_ the problems went away simultaneously.  I have no question
> that it was cause and effect -- that adding the file fixed the problems.

Good to know.
Maybe whatever killed kded isn't happening often enough or fast enough to make
replying to the call impossible.

> However, it does appear that in some circumstances (non-nominal
> circumstances) the file is necessary.  Since I am unable to replicate
> the problems, I do not know what the file actually needs to contain.  I
> just made the standard file with the name and the executable path.
>
> I can only say that KDELibs should install the standard file:
>
> org.kde.kded.services

It might very well be a good addition. One would have to check all possible
kded modules to check that they are not accessing any environment related
things, e.g. env variables, that might be different when being spawned as a
child of the D-Bus session daemon as opposed to being spawned as part of the
KDE session or KDE application startup.

It would of course also hide the actual problem that made kded go away in the
first place, but maybe that is desirable?

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring