[kde-linux] "The name org.kde.kded was not provided by any .service files"

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 4 02:29:34 UTC 2013

On 08/03/2013 04:15 AM, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Saturday, 2013-08-03, James Tyrer wrote:
>> On 08/02/2013 03:22 AM, Duncan wrote:
>>> Kevin Krammer posted on Fri, 02 Aug 2013 09:37:46 +0200 as excerpted:

>>> Thanks for the explanation.  Makes perfect sense.
>>
>> Well, not perfect sense.  Remember, the code is calling this file -- the
>> one that isn't there -- and generating error messages specifically
>> complaining that that file is missing.
>
> I already explained in the other part thread but for completness :)
> The code inside the D-Bus daemon that is looking for this file is not
> triggered explicitly but just the way D-Bus activation was designed to work.
> In cases such as this, when a non-activatable recipient is being addressed, it
> unfortunately creates log output that can be mistaken for an error message.
> A false positive so to speak.
>
> It might be possible that the D-Bus daemon has config to suppress logging of
> failed activation attemps, since it is mostly a diagnostic tool to check when
> services don't start that are supposed to start.

No, this was printed as an error message.  I opened applications, in
this case: Rekonq & Plasma-Desktop from a Konsole so I could see any
error messages.  I wasn't concerned about the message being printed to
the console.  I was concerned about the fact that things weren't working
correctly.

There were errors, not just this message being printed.  I could not
login to my stock broker in Konqueror or Rekonq and CrossOver was
unusable.

I will try to be 100% clear about this.  I added the file and both the
message _and_ the problems went away simultaneously.  I have no question
that it was cause and effect -- that adding the file fixed the problems.

I am the first one to admit that I am a bit puzzled about this.
However, it does appear that in some circumstances (non-nominal
circumstances) the file is necessary.  Since I am unable to replicate
the problems, I do not know what the file actually needs to contain.  I
just made the standard file with the name and the executable path.

I can only say that KDELibs should install the standard file:

org.kde.kded.services

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch