[kde-linux] "The name org.kde.kded was not provided by any .service files"

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Sat Aug 3 11:15:26 UTC 2013

On Saturday, 2013-08-03, James Tyrer wrote:
> On 08/02/2013 03:22 AM, Duncan wrote:
> > Kevin Krammer posted on Fri, 02 Aug 2013 09:37:46 +0200 as excerpted:

> >> Nobody has. D-Bus service files are for services that want to be D-Bus
> >> activated, i.e. started by D-Bus if a message is sent to their well
> >> known name.
> >>
> >> This is very handy for on-demand services, since any application using
> >> them doesn't have to care about whether it is running or not.
> >>
> >> kded has been around for way longer than that, it is started by code in
> >> KDE core libraries. In a KDE session that would happen as part of
> >> startkde's working.
> >>
> >> I guess adding a D-Bus service file doesn't hurt for such cases that
> >> kded went away unexpectantly.
> >
> > Thanks for the explanation.  Makes perfect sense.
>
> Well, not perfect sense.  Remember, the code is calling this file -- the
> one that isn't there -- and generating error messages specifically
> complaining that that file is missing.

I already explained in the other part thread but for completness :)
The code inside the D-Bus daemon that is looking for this file is not
triggered explicitly but just the way D-Bus activation was designed to work.
In cases such as this, when a non-activatable recipient is being addressed, it
unfortunately creates log output that can be mistaken for an error message.
A false positive so to speak.

It might be possible that the D-Bus daemon has config to suppress logging of
failed activation attemps, since it is mostly a diagnostic tool to check when
services don't start that are supposed to start.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring