[kde-linux] "The name org.kde.kded was not provided by any .service files"

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Fri Aug 2 07:37:46 UTC 2013

On Friday, 2013-08-02, Duncan wrote:
> James Tyrer posted on Thu, 01 Aug 2013 21:12:11 -0700 as excerpted:
> > I have looked at this and have reached the conclusion that the file:
> > 	/usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.kde.kded.service
> >
> > is simply missing on my system.  I have installed 4.10.3
>
> > It appears to work with the most basic contents:
> ------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<---
> ---8<------8<------
>
> > [D-BUS Service]
> > Name=org.kde.kded Exec=/opt/kde/bin/kded4
>
> ------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<---
> ---8<------8<------
>
> > {The path for Exec needs to be adjusted for your system}
> >
> > This seems to work OK.
>
> Interesting, because as I said I have no such file here.

Nobody has. D-Bus service files are for services that want to be D-Bus
activated, i.e. started by D-Bus if a message is sent to their well known
name.

This is very handy for on-demand services, since any application using them
doesn't have to care about whether it is running or not.

kded has been around for way longer than that, it is started by code in KDE
core libraries. In a KDE session that would happen as part of startkde's
working.

I guess adding a D-Bus service file doesn't hurt for such cases that kded went
away unexpectantly.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring