[kde-linux] "The name org.kde.kded was not provided by any .service files"

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 3 08:21:34 UTC 2013

On 08/02/2013 12:37 AM, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Friday, 2013-08-02, Duncan wrote:
>> James Tyrer posted on Thu, 01 Aug 2013 21:12:11 -0700 as excerpted:
>>> I have looked at this and have reached the conclusion that the file:
>>> 	/usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.kde.kded.service
>>>
>>> is simply missing on my system.  I have installed 4.10.3
>>
>>> It appears to work with the most basic contents:
>> ------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<---
>> ---8<------8<------
>>
>>> [D-BUS Service]
>>> Name=org.kde.kded Exec=/opt/kde/bin/kded4
>>
>> ------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<---
>> ---8<------8<------
>>
>>> {The path for Exec needs to be adjusted for your system}
>>>
>>> This seems to work OK.
>>
>> Interesting, because as I said I have no such file here.
>
> Nobody has.

Then the file is missing from the code.  OK.

I don't know why my system started to do other strange things -- well I
knew what proceeded it -- but don't know the actual cause.  However,
ever since I installed KDE-4.10.x, I have not been able to get CrossOver
to install any MS-Windows software.  This was long before the error
boxes on start up -- was 4.10.1 or 4.10.2 -- a while ago.  Now that I
have added the file, CrossOver works fine.  This is odd to say the least.

> D-Bus service files are for services that want to be D-Bus
> activated, i.e. started by D-Bus if a message is sent to their well known
> name.

I would say that the code needs to be canonically correct and complete.
  If _any_code_ is capable of calling this file, then the file must exist.

> This is very handy for on-demand services, since any application using them
> doesn't have to care about whether it is running or not.
>
> kded has been around for way longer than that, it is started by code in KDE
> core libraries.

Yes, but has that been changed now that there is the new D-Bus system of
starting it available?  If there is another way to start: "kded" that
would appear to be an error or at least incorrect in the sense of not
being correct -- that all starts of: "kded" by KDE should go through the
same call (D-Bus).

In a KDE session that would happen as part of startkde's
> working.

Yes: "kdeinit" starts: "kded".  Actually: "startkde" runs:
"start_kdeinit_wrapper".

> I guess adding a D-Bus service file doesn't hurt for such cases that kded went
> away unexpectantly.

Yes, that is the question here.  I thought that kdeinit was supposed to
restart it if it wasn't running.  However, it might appear that we have
reached that point that the code base has grown to the point that we
don't know how it works since there are clearly D-Bus calls being made
to start: "kded".

So the real question here is why these D-Bus calls are being made and if
the: "kded" process is ending for some reason.

> Cheers,
> Kevin

James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch