[kde-linux] Kget "My Downloads" [Is this MS Windows?]

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Mon Apr 22 03:58:10 UTC 2013

Kevin Krammer posted on Sun, 21 Apr 2013 21:40:33 +0200 as excerpted:

> It is quite likely that there won't be such as thing as KDE-5.
> Experience has shown that the benefits of releasing multiple independent
> products together, e.g. more media attention, is nowadays outweighted by
> drawbacks such as people misunderstanding relations or their absence
> between different products.

I knew it was being well considered, but didn't know it was at the "quite
likely" point just yet.  I'd have assigned odds of perhaps 55% or so,
just over even odds, that a monolithic-release kde-5 would never happen,
but at least here, I interpret "quite likely" as perhaps the 70-90%
range, or 75-85%, depending on just how loosely the (already loose) term
is being used.

Meanwhile, both "quite likely" and 70-90% chance sound a lot like "the
plan at this time is to avoid it, but we're still keeping the flexibility
to change the plan if something changes."

Which is more or less what xorg-x11 did, except they did continue doing
full releases but with all the components also releasing in their own
time, so eventually, few in practice cared about the full releases any
longer.  IMO that's the ideal end status, regardless of whether the full
releases do continue for some time or not...