[kde-linux] Kget "My Downloads" [Is this MS Windows?]

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Sun Apr 21 19:40:33 UTC 2013

On Saturday, 2013-04-20, James Tyrer wrote:
> On 04/19/2013 10:11 PM, Duncan wrote:

> > that no longer has a real maintainer, and that is simply being held
> > together by hacks from some other kde dev when something breaks,
> > until it eventually gets to be no longer worth maintaining, would
> > explain the hacks you see in the code, etc.
>
> This might explain why it wasn't fixed, but doesn't explain why it was
> written wrong to begin with.

It might not have been that way originally. Some things get added later on due
to changes in the environment, e.g. XDG based paths becoming available, or
original implementors might not have been aware of standard paths and somebody
else added it, etc.

One would basically have to traverse the whole commit history in order to
understand why something is implemented the way it is.

> > Meanwhile, kde5 aka kde frameworks is being designed to be far more
> > modular, and already they're gradually splitting up the formerly
> > huge monolithic tarballs into individual repos, with the core desktop
> >
> >  intended to be much smaller and all these individual apps that are
> >
> > now part of the six-month core kde update and release cycle, will
> > probably be shipped separately and updated on their own schedule.
>
> Does this mean that KDE-4 is already being abandoned by the developers?

No.

>   Do you think that there is any chance that KDE-5 will ever work, or
> will it just be the same story?

It is quite likely that there won't be such as thing as KDE-5. Experience has
shown that the benefits of releasing multiple independent products together,
e.g. more media attention, is nowadays outweighted by drawbacks such as people
misunderstanding relations or their absence between different products.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring