[kde-linux] KGet: "My Documents"

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Thu May 3 09:27:03 UTC 2012

On 04/30/2012 06:43 PM, Duncan wrote:
> James Tyrer posted on Mon, 30 Apr 2012 17:36:49 -0700 as excerpted:
>
>> On 04/12/2012 01:47 PM, Duncan wrote:
>>> James Tyrer posted on Wed, 11 Apr 2012 21:04:01 -0700 as excerpted:
>> <SNIP>
>>> As for incorporating XDG_DOWNLOAD_DIR into kde, that'd be an
>>> enhancement/
>>> wish.  As such, I'd file a bug for it (after a dups check) and mark it
>>> enhancement/wish severity.  But I'd also likely consider that a
>>> compatibility level change and not expect it for kde4, only
>>> kde5/kde-frameworks.
>>>
>> Look in:
>>
>> kde-workspace/kcontrol/desktoppaths/globalpaths.cpp
>>
>> and open the KCM for Paths.
>>
>> More of the XDG paths have been added.
>>
>> So, there is no reason not to use:
>>
>> KGlobalSettings::downloadPath()
>>
>> for the default KGet download group and to use the directory name and
>> icon that the user is using.  Clearly, this is, objectively, the best
>> way to do it because it is the most usable and most obvious to a user.
>
> You're right.  I see it in kcontrol aka kde systemsettings, now too.
>
> So it appears it's supported in kde's guts, now.  The only thing
> remaining is the code change in kget to use the standard setting as in
> kde's guts, now that kde itself supports it.  But I'm guessing that'd be
> at least 4.9, due to string-freeze in 4.8.

I don't see any strings that would need to be changed.  And, what little
documentation that there is in the Help Center is already incorrect.
The screen should is missing a check box and string at the top of --
above -- the list window for the groups.

> But watch them call it "My downloads"... and keep the hard-coding! =:^(

I would think that it is more probable that the person that wrote the
code failed to realize the connection -- didn't realize that it should
follow the XDG Download directory name.  His system probably has that
directory named "My Downloads" so he just hard coded it that way.

I note that I still have not been able to find where "My Downloads" is
in either the code or a global configuration file.  If anyone knows,
help would be appreciated.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch