[kde-linux] KDE resetting microphone setting upon login

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Tue May 1 01:32:35 UTC 2012

Mark Knecht posted on Mon, 30 Apr 2012 16:05:13 -0700 as excerpted:

>  I hate to be sort of 'Well, duh...' but kmix is what I'm using and
> the problem is evidenced entering in KDE before I run kmix.
>
> 1) Enter KDE 2) Open kmix. Settings for the mic are all zeroed out. Set
> them and test the mic.
> 3) Close kmix.
> 4) Open a terminal and run alsamixer to check levels. They are all fine.
> 5) Log out of KDE 6) Shell to the Linux console. Run alsamixer. All
> levels for the mic are fine.
> 7) Log back into KDE
>
> 8) At this point I can run alsamixer or mkix first. Both show all levels
> for the mic set back to zeros again.
>
> It's KDE that's setting them to zeroes, not kmix best I can tell.

What I'm saying, tho, is that I think kmix is started "as kde
infrastructure" with kde, when it's installed.  It won't popup, but it
/might/ be in the tray... if you have the tray set to show it.

(Re tray hiding things: I'm using firefox as my default browser now, and
don't normally run kwallet any longer.  However, I recently needed an old
password out of it, and therefore started kwalletmanager... but it
disappeared!  I normally keep all possible icons visible in the tray,
and /used/ to have kwallet forced visible too, so it didn't at first
occur to me that the systray plasmoid might be hiding it.  But somewhere
along the line while not running it for several weeks/months, the systray
plasmoid decided ON ITS OWN that I no longer wanted to see kwallet when
it started, DESPITE MY SETTING EVERYTHING ELSE TO ALWAYS SHOW AND DESPITE
KWALLET BEING SET TO ALWAYS SHOW THE LAST TIME I USED IT!!  Once I
figured out that kwalletmanager was still running and I just couldn't see
it, I eventually figured it out, but I WAS NOT HAPPY that the plasmoid
had been hiding it on me, when all the settings should have been to show
it!  It's likely that it'll hide the kmix tray icon on you too, if you
let it!

Anyway, I believe it's that kmix, starting hidden with kde, that's
setting things back to zero.  That's what I was suggesting to check.
However, it's possible that you are correct and that there's a different
mechanism used now, since I've not tried kmix in awhile.

kmix isn't a big build.  I guess I could install it again, to double-
check the options so I can tell you exactly what they are and where to
find them, and see if I can duplicate the issue...  But I'm not going to
do it right this moment.

However, there IS a sure and simple way to verify whether it's kmix or
not.  Since you already have alsamixer, you won't be without a volume
control entirely if you unmerge kmix.  Try unmerging it at least
temporarily, and see if the problem disappears.  If kmix isn't there and
the problem persists, you know it's not kmix, starting with kde or not!
If it's gone along with kmix, then you know kmix must at least somehow be
involved.

> As I said earlier, this never happened with earlier versions of KDE,
> and to the best of my ability to tell so far I don't think it has
> anything to do with kmix. It's a KDE thing overall since alsamixer shows
> them as different right after I log out vs right after I log back in.
>
>    Like you I don't use pulseaudio and likely won't ever. My KDE audio
> backend is Gentoo default. I've never changed that.
>
>    To me this sounds like a bug that should be reported somewhere. I
> guess I'll send it to Gentoo devs and let them push it up to KDE if they
> think that's the right thing to do.

That's probably the right thing to do, regardless of whether it's kmix or
not.  But you can try the unmerge test above, and include the results in
whatever bug you file.  =:^)