[kde-linux] KGet: "My Documents"

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Tue May 1 01:43:47 UTC 2012

James Tyrer posted on Mon, 30 Apr 2012 17:36:49 -0700 as excerpted:

> On 04/12/2012 01:47 PM, Duncan wrote:
>> James Tyrer posted on Wed, 11 Apr 2012 21:04:01 -0700 as excerpted:
> <SNIP>
>> As for incorporating XDG_DOWNLOAD_DIR into kde, that'd be an
>> enhancement/
>> wish.  As such, I'd file a bug for it (after a dups check) and mark it
>> enhancement/wish severity.  But I'd also likely consider that a
>> compatibility level change and not expect it for kde4, only
>> kde5/kde-frameworks.
>>
> Look in:
>
> kde-workspace/kcontrol/desktoppaths/globalpaths.cpp
>
> and open the KCM for Paths.
>
> More of the XDG paths have been added.
>
> So, there is no reason not to use:
>
> KGlobalSettings::downloadPath()
>
> for the default KGet download group and to use the directory name and
> icon that the user is using.  Clearly, this is, objectively, the best
> way to do it because it is the most usable and most obvious to a user.

You're right.  I see it in kcontrol aka kde systemsettings, now too.

So it appears it's supported in kde's guts, now.  The only thing
remaining is the code change in kget to use the standard setting as in
kde's guts, now that kde itself supports it.  But I'm guessing that'd be
at least 4.9, due to string-freeze in 4.8.

But watch them call it "My downloads"... and keep the hard-coding! =:^(

But there's obvious progress.  The downloads dir at least shows up in
kcontrol now.  With luck, they'll fix the can't remove bit when they
update to use the XDG_DOWNLOADS thing, and at LEAST make the name
changeable, regardless of whether it defaults to My* or not!  That'd be
more in keeping with kde's normal expose the option to the user
philosophy, after all. =:^)