[kde-linux] KDE resetting microphone setting upon login

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Tue May 1 16:03:22 UTC 2012

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 6:32 PM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan at cox.net> wrote:
<SNIP>
> What I'm saying, tho, is that I think kmix is started "as kde
> infrastructure" with kde, when it's installed.  It won't popup, but it
> /might/ be in the tray... if you have the tray set to show it.
<SNIP>

> Anyway, I believe it's that kmix, starting hidden with kde, that's
> setting things back to zero.  That's what I was suggesting to check.
> However, it's possible that you are correct and that there's a different
> mechanism used now, since I've not tried kmix in awhile.

OK, I understood about kmix. It's not hidden by default. It's just
minimized so that you see nothing but an icon.

I misunderstood your suggestion originally. To me KDE is a big
monolithic thing, a behemoth the parts of which are not to be trifled
with by me. That said the problem (at least initially) is kmix. I did
an emerge -C kmix from the console and then started KDE. All
microphone settings appear to be OK.

The next tests will be to exit KDE, come back in again, make sure
things are ok, maybe emerge kmix again, see if it's messed up again,
etc. I'll do that later today after the market closes. Right now I'm
in the middle of a bunch of trades.

QUESTION: Might you be able to suggest any other Open Source mixer to
replace kmix? I find I need a desktop mixer due to my work in VMs all
day long where every app and every machine has different volume
levels.

Thanks!

- Mark