[kde-linux] sourceforge vs. Konqueror

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Mon Jan 9 16:18:04 UTC 2012

James Tyrer posted on Mon, 09 Jan 2012 06:03:32 -0700 as excerpted:

>> I decided it was time to upgrade gcc from the 4.5 series to the 4.6
>> series (4.6.2), and rebuild my entire system with the new gcc but
>> upgrading to the new kde at the same time, so I wouldn't end up doing
>> it twice.
>>
> Sounds like a lot of fun.  I have to admit that I do not rebuild
> everything when I upgrade the compiler.

AFAIK it used to be more or less required, especially for pretty much
anything C++, since libstdc++ changed dramatically between minor gcc
versions.  But since 4.1 IIRC they've been forward compatible but not
backward compatible.  So stuff compiled on the older gccs still works on
the newer one, but not necessarily the reverse (built on newer gcc
running on older).

Now, it's simply a convenient time for a "flag day", rebuilding the
entire system at once so I know it can be done with the new gcc, finding
any problems related to that or other things that crop up but might be
hidden until a rebuild, etc.

It takes me roughly 10 hours if it goes absolutely smoothly, generally
more like 12 with the usual crop of several garden-variety minor issues
(as this time), obviously somewhat more than that if I try it earlier in
the cycle, after the upstream gcc release but before all the patched
versions are out, so I have to go looking and manually applying a whole
slew of patches.

But when I'm done, I know that my whole system builds on the new gcc and
against everything else on the system without unsolved issues, and that's
a nice feeling to have. =:^)