[kde-linux] sourceforge vs. Konqueror

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 11 02:30:34 UTC 2012

On 01/09/2012 09:18 AM, Duncan wrote:
> James Tyrer posted on Mon, 09 Jan 2012 06:03:32 -0700 as excerpted:
>
>>> I decided it was time to upgrade gcc from the 4.5 series to the 4.6
>>> series (4.6.2), and rebuild my entire system with the new gcc but
>>> upgrading to the new kde at the same time, so I wouldn't end up doing
>>> it twice.
>>>
>> Sounds like a lot of fun.  I have to admit that I do not rebuild
>> everything when I upgrade the compiler.
>
> AFAIK it used to be more or less required, especially for pretty much
> anything C++, since libstdc++ changed dramatically between minor gcc
> versions.  But since 4.1 IIRC they've been forward compatible but not
> backward compatible.  So stuff compiled on the older gccs still works on
> the newer one, but not necessarily the reverse (built on newer gcc
> running on older).

This used to be the case for everything that was C++ since new versions
of libstdc++ were, as you said, not compatible.  It is still probably a
good idea to immediately rebuild the C++ stuff, but it is no longer
required.

I usually go through an upgrade stuff rather than recompiling the
existing versions.

I note that one of these would be: "clucene-core-2.3.3.4" which was
finally released.  I checked and the current version of KDE-4.8 RC2 will
build against it.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch