[kde-linux] sourceforge vs. Konqueror

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 9 13:03:32 UTC 2012

On 01/07/2012 09:38 PM, Duncan wrote:
> James Tyrer posted on Sat, 07 Jan 2012 19:53:18 -0700 as excerpted:
>
>> IAC, I went through the MIME types again and it still doesn't work
>> the way that SourceForge is supposed to work.
>
> Have you checked the URL either manually or with something like links
> or lynx to see what mimetype sourceforge is giving the browser?
> Sometimes that gets screwed up.

Links reports: "application/x-gzip"

Did I mention that it works in Firefox 3.8.12.  This isn't that
surprising since there is no way that Firefox can display that type of file.

> Here on gentoo, all the sources tarball fetches are done by default
> using wget, or optionally curl, with the appropriate command-line
> options for saving the file, so the mimetype the server claims
> doesn't usually make a difference.

I usually fetch stuff by copying with Konqueror or Dolphin.  But, that
doesn't work on SourceForge.

> Meanwhile, not related to your issue but what I'm doing ATM...
>
> Before I upgraded from 4.7.95 to 4.7.97 (aka 4.8-rc1 to 4.8-rc2),

Yes, I am now using RC2.

> I decided it was time to upgrade gcc from the 4.5 series to the 4.6
> series (4.6.2), and rebuild my entire system with the new gcc but
> upgrading to the new kde at the same time, so I wouldn't end up doing
> it twice.

Sounds like a lot of fun.  I have to admit that I do not rebuild
everything when I upgrade the compiler.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch