[kde-linux] Konqueror and Dolphin using 100% CPU

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sat Feb 25 05:37:13 UTC 2012

Dale posted on Fri, 24 Feb 2012 18:52:38 -0600 as excerpted:

> I did just notice something.  In dolphin, there is a PREVIEW button
> right there in my face.  It's right below the menu button thingy.   I
> clicked on it.  Maybe that will help.  Of course, I have to remember to
> click it every time I open dolphin tho since it won't save my settings.
>  This is a lot easier for me on Konqueror.  It generally "just works"
> for me.

That preview button bit reminds me...

For quite some time, since kde3 era at least, konqueror, and I think
dolphin now too, sets a lot of options (the one I notice most is list
view vs icon view vs...) per-directory.  In writable dirs anyway, where
it differs from the default, a .dir file is written to the directory,
that contains these settings (as well as the icon shown for the dir so it
can be customized, and including whether hidden files are displayed in
the dir, or not).

It may be that you're changing the settings for some specific dir, and
not for the default if no .dir file is found.  And, if the dir you'r
changing it for isn't writable (or if changes were made earlier when
using konqueror/dolphin running as root, so the .dir file is owned by
root), then naturally it won't even be saved in that dir, either.

It seems that for dolphin, there's a preference whether it remembers per
dir, or uses a common setting (looks like konqueror has a similar
option).  That's found in dolphin prefs, general, behavior tab, view
properties section.

But the most settings for this are (I knew they were available and still
had a bit of trouble finding them!) found under the view menu, adjust
view properties.  Here, there's options to apply it to current dir
(um...folder) only, current and subdirs, all dirs, or make it the
default.  (Presumably setting all dirs would force common setting,
above.  I could test but won't.)

I don't see the previews status in those options, but it could be saved.
If you've not tried that yet, see if toggling previews off, then
adjusting view properties and setting it as default, saves turning them
off everywhere.

But those options do seem to be similar, and in a similar place, for both
konqueror and dolphin.  I'd not be surprised if they use the same
settings, so changing it in one changes it for the other as well.