[kde-linux] Konqueror and Dolphin using 100% CPU

Dale rdalek1967 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 00:52:38 UTC 2012

Duncan wrote:
> Dale posted on Wed, 22 Feb 2012 21:47:18 -0600 as excerpted:
>
>> I am mostly curious right now.  I used to use Konqueror as my file
>> manager.  I noticed when I left it idle for a bit, it would start using
>> 100% of one of my cores.  It has been doing this for a while so I can't
>> say which upgrade it started on.  Anyway, when it started doing this, I
>> switched to Dolphin for my manager.  I thought maybe it would be more up
>> to date or something.  Anyway, it does the same thing.
>>
>> When I use top, or htop, to show what is using so much CPU, it is
>> kdeinit4 at the beginning but either Konqueror or Dolphin as the actual
>> process running.  I'm not sure what triggers this issue right now.  I
>> usually use it to watch videos or something.  It doesn't do it in a way
>> that is reproducible yet but I am trying to figure out what triggers it.
>>  When I close the file manager, the CPUs go back to normal.
>>
>> I'm using Platform Version 4.8.0 but it was doing it on the last version
>> too.
>>
>> Has anyone else seen this?  If so, any fix yet?
>
> I'm not sure if this is what you're seeing, but see if it fits...
>
> If previews are enabled in konqueror/dolphin, and you're in a directory
> with a large number of images or even more so videos, they will use a lot
> of CPU trying to generate thumbnails for all those image-files.  Videos
> take more cpu and will I believe only be thumbnailed if you have the
> appropriate thumbnailers installed (mplayerthumbs and/or another similar
> app the name of which IDR ATM).
>
> Once all the thumbnails are generated, there will be a burst of cpu on
> directory entry as it checks the hashes and loads the corresponding
> thumbnails, but it will die down MUCH sooner.  But until they're all
> generated, there will be a pause to let the pre-generated thumbs load,
> then if there's no activity, the background thumbnailing process will
> startup again.  If it doesn't finish before you close the window or go to
> a different dir, it will start up again the next time where it left off,
> so in a few-hundred-video-dir, it might get maybe 3-5 videos each time
> during normal usage if you're in the dir only a little bit, and thus take
> maybe a hundred visits to the dir before all the videos are thumbnailed.
>
> As such, the pattern is much different before all the videos are indexed
> (initial burst, wait, pick up again) compared to after (longer initial
> burst as there's more thumbs to load, without the pickup again).
>
> A possible snag in this is if the various components (mplayer, the
> thumbnailer, dolphin/konqueror, various kde and other libs) get out of
> sync with each other.  That could stop the activity until they're back in
> sync, or make it much worse as the thumbnailers repeatedly try to load,
> and crash, without actually generating any new thumbnails.

I been messing with this for a bit.  I just plain old disabled the
preview stuff for everything including the desktop icons.  The desktop
setting was easy but I can't get dolphin to retain the settings after a
restart.  If I close then restart dolphin, everything resets to defaults
and plain ignores my settings.

So, one problem has uncovered another.  How do I FORCE dolphin to retain
my settings?  Do I need a bolt, nut and a good set of wrenches?  I got
some.  Grade 8 bolts and Craftsman 1/2 inch drive sockets.  I also have
a 6 foot cheater pipe and a pull handle too.  I need this thing to
tighten up a bit here.  lol

> As both you and I are gentooers, a revdep-rebuild can help here, but I'm
> not sure it catches /all/ such issues.  (It catches most library out-of-
> syncs, but I'm not sure it catches plugins, which often only load on
> specific actions and won't normally cause problems if they're not there,
> like fully depended libs will.  And there's multiple ways to load a
> library and I'm not sure revdep-rebuild catches all the obscure ones.)  I
> do know that revdep-rebuild sometimes reports all clean, here, but still,
> something doesn't work for a time, but then when all the updates happen
> to be built in the correct order again, suddenly things work again.
> There's two cases I've seen where this seems to happen, the thumbnailers,
> and the gnash/lightspark flash replacement plugins.  I simply don't have
> the technical understanding to really grasp /why/, tho I believe I sort
> of understand a bit of it (the different ways to load libs, and the case
> of libs vs plugins, both of which are "shared objects", aka *.so.*).

My usual upgrade path is, eix-sync && emerge -uvaDN world then
--depclean then revdep-rebuild -i.  I tend to keep my system saner than
me.  o_O

> The kdeinit4 thing is a trick kde uses to launch faster and be a bit more
> efficient with resource usage.  Instead of each kde infrastructure app
> resources once for several apps, thus shortening the initial launch and
> reducing memory usage.  The following is rather simplified, but AFAIK,
> it's reasonably accurate as the high level explanation it's intended to
> be:
>
> In Linux as originally designed, "shared object" libraries can load once
> and be shared by as many apps as need them, but that was back when
> libraries loaded at predictable locations.  Now days, various archs
> (including amd64/x86_64) mandate and some distros use even on x86,
> "randomized memory space object relocation", for security and other
> reasons.  (Security-wise, if a function's location can be predicted, it's
> far easier to exploit a potential vulnerability to allow an attacker to
> take over the machine.)  Also, even when shared object libs try to load
> at specific locations, they can only do so if other libs aren't already
> at that location, in which case they must be loaded elsewhere anyway.
>
> Unfortunately, libraries loaded at different locations in different apps
> take longer to initialize and don't as effectively share memory.  Thus,
> kdeinit4, which allows the various kde4 "core" apps to all load together,
> more effectively sharing resources and loading faster.  Address space is
> still randomized at load time for these apps so security isn't thrown out
> the window, but it's randomized once for all of them together instead of
> once for each one.
>
> If one of the apps crashes, it can be rerun by itself, but of course the
> benefits of the common init are lost that way.  Since it's just one app
> being reloaded, init time isn't as big an issue, but other things being
> equal, memory usage will be slightly higher.  And AFAIK, kdeinit4 can't
> be used to just rerun the single app anyway.  If a full rerun is desired,
> you quit kde back to the *DM login or text console (depending on how you
> launched it in the first place, I always use a text console launch and
> never a *DM graphical login, but others prefer their graphical login),
> and relaunch.
>
> That should address the kdeinit4 <app> angle. =:^)
>

> Finally, FWIW, for file browsing, in kde4, konqueror loads the dolphin
> kpart.  The wrapper around the kpart is different between dolphin and
> konqueror, but it's the same dolphin file browser kpart underneath.  So
> it's not surprising that behavior and bugs seen in one are often seen in
> the other, as well.  It simply depends on whether that aspect is part of
> the wrapper UI, or an underlying behavior of the kpart.

Is KDE taking after winders?  ROFL  I noticed the other day that it now
shows dolphin on the front.  Maybe it was the way I was running the
command.  < shrugs >

> [...]
> appropriate hotkey combination.
>

> FWIW (tl;dr: description of my setup follows)...
>
> Here, to replace the missing multikey hotkey functionality in kde4 that
> used to work so well in kde3 (FWIW, the relevant kde bug says it's due to
> a qt4 defect, apparently unfixable in qt4 as it's an architecture
> assumption, but I've read that it's already fixed in qt5), I've setup a
> couple scripts and a whole set of launcher-config files, that allow a
> three-key launch of pretty much anything I use regularly, including
> launchers for the apps listed above, should they crash.  The first key is
> a khotkey that invokes my launcher with a list of categories (config=c,
> filesystem=f, games=g, net=n, raid=r, terms=t, X=x, etc) and associated
> hotkey, the second choses a category and invokes the launcher again with
> a list of the apps/hotkeys for that category (for net, b=bank (browser
> (general launch, blank page), m=mail (claws-mail, mail instance), f=feeds
> (claws-mail, feeds instance), n=news (pan, nntp news client), etc).
>
> So if I want to launch a konsole window, it's simply <launcher-key>,t,t
> (first t, terminals category, second, general terminal window), to launch
> konsole directly sudoing to my admin user, it's <launcher>,t,z, to
> relaunch kwin with the --replace parameter if it crashes, it's
> <launcher>,x,w (x=X-category, w=kWin), to launch kpat it's <launcher>,g,p
> (games, kPat), getting a browser open to the bank login page is
> <launcher>,n,b (net, bank), to open kde settings s <launcher>,c,s
> (config, kdeSettings), to relaunch a crashed krunner it's <launcher>,c,r
> (config, kRunner), to activate and mount my media raid it's <launcher>r,m
> (raid, media)... etc.
>
> Just three keys to launch anything on the system I use enough to have
> bothered setting up an entry for it in the launcher config! =:^)  And
> it's all nicely categorized and mnemonically arranged so I normally
> remember it without prompts, but the category and individual apps lists
> for that category popup, just in case. =:^)
>
> And as can be seen from the examples, that includes restart launchers for
> kwin, krunner, plasma-desktop, etc, along with such things as config
> resets for mouse accel (sometimes that resets and the mouse moves like
> molasses until I reset the accel), triggers to immediately turn off the
> monitors, or conversely, to keep them on so they don't blank on their own
> after X minutes of inactivity, triggers to run a script to assemble
> various auxiliary md/raids and mount the filesystems they contain,
> triggers to load the browser with specific pages... all the random misc
> one-shot and app launcher stuff I might want to do on the system.
>
> Of course, if there's an app I'm not familiar with or simply don't use
> enough to have created a 3-key launcher, I can use the usual launch
> methods, kickoff menu, typing it in krunner, launching konsole and using
> tab-complete to launch it from there, etc, that an ordinary user might

I use the same stuff over and over so I just save the session and it
opens everything when I login.  It even launches Seamonkey now.  It
didn't use to do that.  It seemed to launch everything KDE related but
not apps outside of KDE stuff.  Glad that is fixed.

I did just notice something.  In dolphin, there is a PREVIEW button
right there in my face.  It's right below the menu button thingy.   I
clicked on it.  Maybe that will help.  Of course, I have to remember to
click it every time I open dolphin tho since it won't save my settings.
 This is a lot easier for me on Konqueror.  It generally "just works"
for me.

Dale

:-)  :-)

how you interpreted my words!