[kde-linux] LCD weather widget not finding noaa stations

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Mon Dec 24 21:04:48 UTC 2012

Dale posted on Mon, 24 Dec 2012 07:10:42 -0600 as excerpted:

> Maybe one day it will work.  I been using that other app you mentioned
> and it works OK.  I had to change a few things but it is cool.  I just
> wish I could get it to move from the far right corner.  When I try to
> move it, it just bounces right back to the far right corner.  The others
> move fine but not that one.  Oh well.  Beats what I had before.

So yawp is working, but lcd-weather is not?  That's weird.  Not what I'd
have predicted at all, since I /thought/ the weather-parsing
infrastructure was in a lib common to both.

Maybe I was wrong?

You mention that it sticks to the far right corner... of what?  A panel,
or a desktop activity, or ???  FWIW, here, I have (my multiple instances
of) yawp on the desktop, in a separate activity that contains all them
and my comic-strip plasmoid.  That way I can spread them out as I wish,
and switch to my weather and comics activity to view them, without
cluttering up my mostly clear normal desktop.  Anyway, I have no problems
getting yawp to go where I want it on the desktop.

I tried yawp in a panel quite some kde versions ago and decided I didn't
like it there so much.  IIRC it was because in a panel, it would only
show a limited amount of info, I think due to the space constraints.  But
that was some time ago and I really don't know how it behaves in a panel
any more.

But that reminds me... I DO have some issues with the comic-strip
plasmoid.  It seems I can't set any new comics, only the old ones, as any
new ones don't update.

I somehow got the impression at some point (IDR how), that certain
plasmoids use $TMPDIR for storing their update file, then try to RENAME
(NOT move or copy, RENAME) to the final location.  Since my $TMPDIR is on
tmpfs (with the user's tmpdir symlinked into it from its default location
in ~/tmp), that doesn't work so well, as renames across filesystems
simply doesn't work (while moves or copies and then deletes, would work).

But I would have /thought/ that would have been fixed quite some versions
ago, and had forgotten about it.

But now I'm wondering if that's the root problem behind both your broken
LCD-weather and my broken ability to add new comics to comic-strip.

I'm headed in to work a Christmas Eve close, but I have tomorrow off.
Maybe I'll play around with tmpdir a bit tomorrow, and see if it makes a
difference.

Reminder:  Backup your plasma-destop-appletsrc file before you do any
serious playing around with plasma.  It could save you some trouble if
something goes wrong.