[kde-linux] LCD weather widget not finding noaa stations

Dale rdalek1967 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 24 23:03:42 UTC 2012

Duncan wrote:
> Dale posted on Mon, 24 Dec 2012 07:10:42 -0600 as excerpted:
>
>> Maybe one day it will work.  I been using that other app you mentioned
>> and it works OK.  I had to change a few things but it is cool.  I just
>> wish I could get it to move from the far right corner.  When I try to
>> move it, it just bounces right back to the far right corner.  The others
>> move fine but not that one.  Oh well.  Beats what I had before.
> So yawp is working, but lcd-weather is not?  That's weird.  Not what I'd
> have predicted at all, since I /thought/ the weather-parsing
> infrastructure was in a lib common to both.
>
> Maybe I was wrong?
>
> You mention that it sticks to the far right corner... of what?  A panel,
> or a desktop activity, or ???  FWIW, here, I have (my multiple instances
> of) yawp on the desktop, in a separate activity that contains all them
> and my comic-strip plasmoid.  That way I can spread them out as I wish,
> and switch to my weather and comics activity to view them, without
> cluttering up my mostly clear normal desktop.  Anyway, I have no problems
> getting yawp to go where I want it on the desktop.
>
> I tried yawp in a panel quite some kde versions ago and decided I didn't
> like it there so much.  IIRC it was because in a panel, it would only
> show a limited amount of info, I think due to the space constraints.  But
> that was some time ago and I really don't know how it behaves in a panel
> any more.
>
> But that reminds me... I DO have some issues with the comic-strip
> plasmoid.  It seems I can't set any new comics, only the old ones, as any
> new ones don't update.
>
> I somehow got the impression at some point (IDR how), that certain
> plasmoids use $TMPDIR for storing their update file, then try to RENAME
> (NOT move or copy, RENAME) to the final location.  Since my $TMPDIR is on
> tmpfs (with the user's tmpdir symlinked into it from its default location
> in ~/tmp), that doesn't work so well, as renames across filesystems
> simply doesn't work (while moves or copies and then deletes, would work).
>
> But I would have /thought/ that would have been fixed quite some versions
> ago, and had forgotten about it.
>
> But now I'm wondering if that's the root problem behind both your broken
> LCD-weather and my broken ability to add new comics to comic-strip.
>
> I'm headed in to work a Christmas Eve close, but I have tomorrow off.
> Maybe I'll play around with tmpdir a bit tomorrow, and see if it makes a
> difference.
>
> Reminder:  Backup your plasma-destop-appletsrc file before you do any
> serious playing around with plasma.  It could save you some trouble if
> something goes wrong.

It is rather odd that one works and the other doesn't.  I'm just glad it
does.  At least I have one that works.

I do have it on the little kicker thingy at the bottom.  It's right next
to my clock in the far right corner.  I can move all the other stuff but
that weather thing just will not move.  I even tried moving the clock to
the right of it and it just pops right back.

I have mine set up for current and the next day.  That is about as close
to what the weather people can predict anyway.  ;-)  It doesn't take up
to much room and if I click on it, it shows more details and a few more
days.

Maybe one day I will just do a major upgrade and start with a fresh .kde
directory.  It would be the first time I had to do that.  ;-)  My emails
are in .mozilla anyway.  All .kde has is settings.

Thanks much.

Dale

:-)  :-)