[kde-linux] LCD weather widget not finding noaa stations

Dale rdalek1967 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 24 13:10:42 UTC 2012

Duncan wrote:
> Dale posted on Sun, 23 Dec 2012 03:55:50 -0600 as excerpted:
>
>> Well, I finally got a chance to log out and back in, as my backup user.
>> I deleted the .kde directory for my backup user before logging in.  I
>> could not get Tupelo to work.  I also tried Jackson MS and it didn't
>> work either.  All these cities are listed, even as NOAH, but none of
>> them display any weather info.  No temps, no pressure or wind.  I also
>> tried New York NY and no info.  I find it hard to believe that hat one
>> could really be broken.
>>
>> I don't know what it could be but if a default config doesn't work, I
>> don't know what will.  Certainly nothing config wise I can change on my
>> end is going to help.  Unless it is a USE flag issue, I don't know of
>> anything else to try.
> If ALL those are failing, even with a new/clean user config, I'd guess
> it's a stale library somewhere.  Do you always emerge --update --deep --
> newuse?  If you don't, it's likely you have an older version of something
> than I do (beyond the obvious fact that I'm running kde 4.10-rc1, aka
> 4.9.95, now), since I always use --deep --newuse with my updates.  What
> about revdep-rebuild?
>
> If it was a normal app, we could ldd-trace the libs and compare versions,
> but plasma being what it is, it's probably bringing in a whole slew of
> exotic libs, plus the plasmoids would be dl-opened (I /believe/ that's
> the correct terminology) and thus only run-time linked, so they'd not
> show up in ldd.  strace -feopen could do it, but that'd list all the
> fonts, icons, display themes, etc, opened as well.  Of course its output
> could be grepped for shared-objects (*.so*) only, but that's still going
> to be a whole list to go thru, including the plasmoids either of us may
> have installed from kdelook, etc...
>
> Still, it could be done if it comes to that...
>
> But double-check your deep dependencies first, and revdep-rebuild, and
> try yawp so we're comparing oranges to oranges (I have a thing against
> proprietary, including proprietary apples!), and if all /that/ fails,
> /then/ we can try the strace thing.

I always update with emerge -uvaDN world and sometimes just do a emerge
-ev world.  I did a emerge -ev world not to long ago, a month or so.  I
lost my binary packages when moving things around the other day so I
plan to do a emerge -ev world when the next KDE update comes out.  So,
everything SHOULD be up to date but I could be wrong.  Maybe something
that COULD be unmasked is not or something.  Here is a list:

root at fireball / # equery list *plasma*
 * Searching for *plasma* ...
[IP-] [  ] kde-base/kdeplasma-addons-4.9.4:4
[IP-] [  ] kde-base/libplasmaclock-4.9.4:4
[IP-] [  ] kde-base/libplasmagenericshell-4.9.4:4
[IP-] [  ] kde-base/plasma-apps-4.9.4:4
[IP-] [  ] kde-base/plasma-runtime-4.9.4:4
[IP-] [  ] kde-base/plasma-workspace-4.9.4:4
root at fireball / #

It seems everything plasma related is 4.9.4 at least.  If this was back
in the old days, I could just unmerge everything kde and delete the kde
directory in /usr and emerge kde again.  But, they got rid of the kde
directory way so that is not going to be easy.  KDE stuff is thrown to
every corner of the file system now.

I may do a fresh install on another directory then copy it over.  I just
don't want to deal with all that right now.  I got to much stuff going
on.  ;-)

Maybe one day it will work.  I been using that other app you mentioned
and it works OK.  I had to change a few things but it is cool.  I just
wish I could get it to move from the far right corner.  When I try to
move it, it just bounces right back to the far right corner.  The others
move fine but not that one.  Oh well.  Beats what I had before.

Thanks for the help.

Dale

:-)  :-)