[kde-linux] Kpat locking up.

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sat Sep 17 15:20:17 UTC 2011

Dale posted on Sat, 17 Sep 2011 07:34:02 -0500 as excerpted:

> It appears kpatrc had a issue.  I removed the old and restarted kpat and
> no lockups since.  Thanks for the help.  One of these days I am going to
> remember to delete those pesky config files.  lol

In that case, it's possible it was theme related.  Maybe one of the
themes you had configured is corrupted?

FWIW, when I find a bad config file, I tend to isolate it to the section
and then the line via bisection, just to satisfy my own curiosity about
what specific bit of the config it was, so I know.  But a lot of folks
are simply happy they found the problem and didn't have to blow away the
entire kde config, and leave it at the file level.  The problem for me is
that, to paraphrase the old slogan, this "inquiring mind wants to know!"
since until I nail down exactly where the problem was, I have little
control over it happening again, and worse, I'll be in the same
predicament if it does!  Even if tracing it to a single line (or at least
file section) doesn't help me prevent the problem again, as it may not,
at least a single line of config isn't /that/ much to redo or avoid, if
it comes to it.  Certainly way less than an entire config file in most
cases.  Tho of course a single config file is still way less than the
entire kde user config, which is enough for most people, I guess.