[kde-linux] Kpat locking up.

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Tue Sep 13 22:52:43 UTC 2011

Dale posted on Tue, 13 Sep 2011 14:53:33 -0500 as excerpted:

> I have had problems with kpat locking up for the last few versions.  I
> thought maybe it was just a bug that would be worked out but I guess
> not.  I have tried running it in a Konsole and it doesn't produce any
> errors there.  It has a line or two when it starts but nothing else or
> about the crash itself.  When it locks up, it makes one or two of my
> cores get really busy.  I have let it run for quite a while just to see
> if it is really doing something but that doesn't help either.  When I
> hit the close button, KDE pops up a window that says the program is not
> responding. I usually play Yukon but it does the same with Freecell and
> Spider.
>
> [ebuild   R   ~] kde-base/kdelibs-4.7.1
> USE="3dnow alsa bzip2 fam handbook jpeg2k mmx nls opengl (policykit)
> semantic-desktop spell sse sse2 ssl udev udisks upower zeroconf -acl
> (-altivec) (-aqua) -bindist -debug -doc (-kdeenablefinal) -kerberos
> -lzma -openexr -test -upnp"
> 11,792 kB

> [ebuild   R   ~] kde-base/kpat-4.7.1
> USE="handbook (-aqua) -debug (-kdeenablefinal)"
> 61,442 kB
>

> Has anyone else ran into this?

I mainly run freecell and klondike here, but haven't seen the problem,
and you say it happens on freecell, so I should have if I had the problem.

FWIW, here's my output (gentoo, for anyone wondering) for those packages
(plus libkdegames):

[ebuild   R    ] kde-base/kdelibs-4.7.1
USE="3dnow alsa bindist bzip2 fam handbook jpeg2k lzma mmx openexr opengl
policykit spell sse sse2 ssl udev udisks -acl (-altivec) (-aqua) -debug
-doc (-kdeenablefinal) -kerberos -nls -semantic-desktop -test -upnp
-upower -zeroconf"
0 kB

[ebuild   R    ] kde-base/libkdegames-4.7.1
USE="(-aqua) -debug (-kdeenablefinal)"
0 kB
[ebuild   R    ] kde-base/kpat-4.7.1
USE="handbook (-aqua) -debug (-kdeenablefinal)"
0 kB

(Obviously I still have the sources cached, thus explaining the 0 kB
sizes...)

Looks like you have a few more flags turned on than I do, on kdelibs, but
nothing leaps out as related to kpat... except for nls, perhaps.

I assume you're fully update-deep-newused, revdep-rebuilt, and depcleaned,
right?

The next things I'd suspect would be something in your user or hardware
config, probably either widget-style (Oxygen, here), display/opengl
(Radeon hd4650 w/ the freedomware drivers, kms mode, classic as gallium
is broken, here), or corrupted kpatrc related.

Have you tried moving your $KDEHOME (normally ~/.kde/) out of the way
(while not in kde of course), to go all defaults and see if it's a user
config issue?  Or what about simply removing $KDEHOME/share/config/
kpatrc , to see if it's a corrupted kpatrc problem.

(Obviously, trying those in the reverse order makes more sense, kpatrc
first. =:^)