[kde-linux] Setting DISPLAY variable on quicklaunch entry not working

Allistar allistar.m at gmail.com
Wed May 11 04:25:46 UTC 2011

Hi there,
  I've just updated KDE to 4.6.2 on Gentoo Linux and to my surprise Plasma
now works on my second screen (screen in the X sense, not in the physical
monitor sense). Previously the only way to get am accelerated triple head
setup was to run e16 on the 2nd screen.

  This means I now have two instances of KDE running, with 2 instances of
the plasma desktop. All good so far. When I add a panel to the second plasma
instahnce and in that panel I add the "Quick Launch" widget. To that I add
an icon for Konsole. When clicking on that icon it always starts Konsole up
on screen 0, not screen 1.

  Setting the icon command to be:

DISPLAY=":0.1" konsole

Doesn't work - it still starts it up on the wrong screen. Oddly, when I
start it up from the K menu on the second screen, it starts in the right
place.

How do I convince quicklaunch to honour the DISPLAY setting for the current
screen?

Thanks.