[kde-linux] Re: Konqueror 4.6.2 and "Connection to Server Closed Unexpectedly"

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Wed May 4 18:14:37 UTC 2011

Jerome Yuzyk posted on Wed, 04 May 2011 11:35:46 -0600 as excerpted:

> Since upgrading to 4.6.2 I'm getting pretty regular
>
>     The requested operation could not be completed
>
>     Connection to Server Closed Unexpectedly
>
> messages, from Google, eBay, our national weather service - all reliable
> sites. Sometimes a refresh gets the page properly. Embedded images
> aren't always loading, CSS stylesheets aren't being applied - and this
> is only within the first 6 hours of using the upgraded package.
>
> None of this is happening in SeaMonkey, Chrome or Firefox.

I had this with 4.6.2 as well -- but *NOT* with earlier 4.6 versions -- it
was new to 4.6.2.

Do you use a proxy?  That seemed to be the issue here.  Earlier kde4/
konqueror (4.2/4.3 era) had rather widespread proxy issues, but they
disappeared with newer versions, at least here, until 4.6.2.  Ultimately I
believe both kde/konqueror and my proxy (privoxy) updated, so I don't know
for sure which fixed the problem earlier, just that it eventually went
away.

But I made a single tweak with 4.6.2 and solved that issue here.  AFAIK
the issue is related to a HTTP 1.1 persistent connections mismatch between
konqueror and the proxy, so if they're both set the same, it should work,
otherwise there might be problems.  In any event, the single tweak I made
was to konqueror's proxy settings.  Previously, "Use persistent
connections to proxy" was unchecked.  Now it's checked, and I've had no
further problems.  But depending on your proxy, you might have the reverse
issue and have to /uncheck/ it.

Whichever way it ends up working, hopefully toggling that works as well
for you as it did for me. =:^)

> This is one of a numebr of regressions in Konqueror since KDE 3 - do
> they suggest that Konqueror is becoming obsolete and is being phased
> out?

The following is very much my own opinion and observations.  It's very
much NOT an official kde stance, which I couldn't give anyway as I'm not a
kde dev.

Yes and no.  The old khtml engine isn't under as heavy development as it
once was, but it formed the basis for webkit, which in turn is used by
rekonq, a kde-based experimental browser.  Apparently with rekonq
installed (I say apparently because I don't have it installed here so this
is based on what I've read) it's now possible to switch between the khtml
and webkit rendering engines for konqueror as well.

Given the larger market share and development resources webkit has, with
support from both Apple (safari?) and Google (chrome/chromium) among
others, and the fact that qt has native webkit support as well, many
people are observing that it's probably unrealistic for kde to continue
development of khtml in the longer term, and predicting a switch.
However, with konqueror now able to use either the khtml or webkit kparts,
it's unlikely that konqueror itself will fade.