[kde-linux] Re: Konqueror 4.6.2 and "Connection to Server Closed Unexpectedly"

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Thu May 5 19:07:31 UTC 2011

On Wednesday, May 04, 2011 12:14:37 PM Duncan <1i5t5.duncan at cox.net> wrote:
> Jerome Yuzyk posted on Wed, 04 May 2011 11:35:46 -0600 as excerpted:
> > Since upgrading to 4.6.2 I'm getting pretty regular
> >
> >     The requested operation could not be completed
> >
> >     Connection to Server Closed Unexpectedly
> >
> > messages, from Google, eBay, our national weather service - all
> > reliable sites. Sometimes a refresh gets the page properly. Embedded
> > images aren't always loading, CSS stylesheets aren't being applied -
> > and this is only within the first 6 hours of using the upgraded
> > package.
> >
> > None of this is happening in SeaMonkey, Chrome or Firefox.
>
> I had this with 4.6.2 as well -- but *NOT* with earlier 4.6 versions --
> it was new to 4.6.2.
>
> Do you use a proxy?  That seemed to be the issue here.  Earlier kde4/
> konqueror (4.2/4.3 era) had rather widespread proxy issues, but they
> disappeared with newer versions, at least here, until 4.6.2.  Ultimately
> I believe both kde/konqueror and my proxy (privoxy) updated, so I don't
> know for sure which fixed the problem earlier, just that it eventually
> went away.
>
> But I made a single tweak with 4.6.2 and solved that issue here.  AFAIK
> the issue is related to a HTTP 1.1 persistent connections mismatch
> between konqueror and the proxy, so if they're both set the same, it
> should work, otherwise there might be problems.  In any event, the
> single tweak I made was to konqueror's proxy settings.  Previously,
> "Use persistent connections to proxy" was unchecked.  Now it's checked,
> and I've had no further problems.  But depending on your proxy, you
> might have the reverse issue and have to /uncheck/ it.
>
> Whichever way it ends up working, hopefully toggling that works as well
> for you as it did for me. =:^)

Thanks very much - that seems to have solved it. I use Privoxy too. I had
to toggle that setting on, even though I had disabled Privoxy, and excluded
the problem sites from proxying, to try and figure things out. I thought
those measures would get Privoxy sufficiently out of the loop but that
switch does something. Now I can put everything back.

> > This is one of a numebr of regressions in Konqueror since KDE 3 - do
> > they suggest that Konqueror is becoming obsolete and is being phased
> > out?
>
> However, with konqueror now able to use either the khtml or webkit
> kparts, it's unlikely that konqueror itself will fade.

Yes, I was getting a bit crabby when I asked that. There does seem to be
progress and Konq is still my default browser after all these years and
other alternatives. WebKit seems to be (more) useful for eBay now so that's
a positive benchmark for me.

Thanks again - you saved me tons of grief.