[kde-linux] Re: LCD weather widget not finding noaa stations

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Tue May 3 13:17:23 UTC 2011

Dale posted on Tue, 03 May 2011 05:20:12 -0500 as excerpted:

> Duncan wrote:

>> What I did here with the one upgrade related bug I had

> Well, I don't guess this will work.  Ran into a slight problem:

> It appears that when 4.6.2 was added, they removed 4.6.1.  I'll look to
> see if I still have a binary tho.  May unpack it and see what is
> different first, if I have it still.

Yes indeed.  Fortunately for the bug I mentioned above, I hadn't cleared
out the binpkgs for 4.6.0 and 4.6.1, so it was easy enough to use them.

Just in case you weren't aware, the binpkg format is simply a tarball of
the files as they'd install (from the fake-install immediately prior to
what would be the qmerge step if FEATURES=-binpkg), with some extra data
glued on the end.  It's possible to open and browse the tarball content
using most archivers, including both ark and mc's virtual tarball
filesystem.

Additionally, if you edit the file itself, near the end you'll find the
actual ebuild used, as plain text.  Of course you can also use qxpak from
the portage-utils package to unpack the entire thing, but I usually simply
grab the plain text ebuild with a simple text editor, if that's all I
need.  (It usually is, short term anyway.  Longer term, the in-tree/in-
overlay eclasses might change in an incompatible way since they don't have
to worry about compatibility with the removed ebuild any longer, thus
making use of the ebuild-only difficult without the environmental data
contained in the rest of the xpak.)

So using something like mc, which can diff between comparable files in two
different tarballs directly, no manual extracting required (I think it
does that to a temp area on its own but it's all automatic if so, and it
may handle it entirely in memory for small files), it's quite possible
indeed to see what has changed, either in filesystem layout and filenames,
or between two config files, say, while working with just the binpkgs
without even extracting them let alone installing them.

And if you need the ebuild, grabbing it from the binpkg is easy enough as
well, tho as I said, if they've changed the eclasses it depends on in the
mean time, you may have a bit more work to worry about than just the
ebuild, but they too can be recovered from the xpak if necessary, thus
giving one the necessary bits to do a from-source rebuild as well as
simply using the existing binpkg, should that be necessary.

Of course it's also possible to recover the old ebuilds and related
eclasses from Gentoo's tree repo (and/or gentoo/kde's git repo for the
overlay), if one wishes, but it's nice to know the data is available
locally too, as long as you still have the binpkgs, and it's often more
convenient to simply recover it that way.