[kde-linux] Re: LCD weather widget not finding noaa stations

Dale rdalek1967 at gmail.com
Tue May 3 10:20:12 UTC 2011

Duncan wrote:
> Dale posted on Mon, 02 May 2011 05:26:42 -0500 as excerpted:
>

>> Does that belong to kdeplasma-addons?  Google searches makes me think it
>> does.  I thought about seeing if I can downgrade that one package and
>> see if it works again.  Maybe if I configure it with the old package
>> that will do something.
>>
> I wasn't sure which files corresponded to that plasmoid, so I couldn't
> equery files or belongs to see which package they corresponded to,
> before.  However, based on your pointer to kdeplasma-addons, it appears
> you are correct, as
>
> equery files kdeplasma-addons | grep weather
>
> returns a number of weatherstation hits, with weatherstation matching the
> name close enough that I'm pretty sure that's it.
>
> Be aware that in ordered to downgrade, you'll probably need to feed
> portage the --nodeps option, since otherwise it'll probably want to
> downgrade a bunch of other kde-related stuff as well, because they keep
> the versions pretty close to synced.  But as long as you have the new
> version installed, it should have the dependencies met, and within a minor/
> feature series, thus within 4.6.x, versions should be pretty close to
> compatible, no matter what portage thinks.
>
> The problem would however be that due to the dependencies, you'll have
> issues doing further world updates, or emerge --depcleans, etc, until you
> get portage's deps straight once again.
>
> What I did here with the one upgrade related bug I had, was first find and
> confirm the individual package it was in, with a temporary downgrade test,
> then, using the binpkgs (I run FEATURES=buildpkg for exactly this sort of
> thing), upgraded once again and then switched out individual files from
> the two versions until I knew which file it was in.  Presently, therefore,
> I'm upgraded to the new version (4.6.2), except that I have one file from
> the 4.6.1 binpkg copied back over the 4.6.2 version.  So the portage deps
> work out fine (tho it would detect the one file as changed, but that
> doesn't matter for deps calculation), and I can and have continued my
> routine upgrades since, including revdep-rebuild (fortunately the two
> files are close enough the binary deps are the same, tho that's expected
> within the same kde minor) and emerge --depclean after every update, to
> keep the system clean and free of cruft.

Well, I don't guess this will work.  Ran into a slight problem:

root at fireball / # equery list -p kdeplasma-addons
[ Searching for package 'kdeplasma-addons' in all categories among: ]
  * installed packages
[I--] [ ~] kde-base/kdeplasma-addons-4.6.2 (4.6)
  * Portage tree (/usr/portage)
[-P-] [  ] kde-base/kdeplasma-addons-4.4.5 (4.4)
root at fireball / #

It appears that when 4.6.2 was added, they removed 4.6.1.  I'll look to
see if I still have a binary tho.  May unpack it and see what is
different first, if I have it still.

Dale

:-)  :-)