[kde-linux] Re: Laptop lid actions

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Mon Mar 21 22:03:22 UTC 2011

Mark Knecht posted on Mon, 21 Mar 2011 14:02:51 -0700 as excerpted:

> In the case of my laptop with the 'Do Nothing' setting in KDE the screen
> automatically goes black when the lid is almost closed. I put my head on
> the desk and slowly close the lid. At about 3/4" open the screen goes
> black and power drops from 48.8 Watts to 40.2 Watts. (Using Kill-a-Watt
> to measure.)

I haven't measured actual power usage (tho it's noticeable in battery-life-
projections), but that's the same behavior I get (and want) here, too.

It's ideal for me.  I'd hate the new mandatory-suspend-on-lid-close
functionality gnome-3 is rumored to have, both because a major intended
use of this thing (gen-1.5 netbook) is as an MP3-player (it's one of the
first with a standard SATA interfaced 100+ gig drive, with 100+ gigs a
must for a good mp3 player here, plus it has the flexibility of a full if
low-powered computer), and so I can ssh to it with the lid closed, as you
mention.

Plus display-off-on-lid-close is another node on the power flexibility
line that fits in well between suspend2ram and normal
dimmed-but-on-display laptop-mode usage.