[kde-linux] Getting rid of irritating CPU-sucking parasites...?

David J Iannucci xqryvahkzy at punchcutter.ml1.net
Thu Mar 24 22:56:42 UTC 2011

So... I'm one of those people who's still mostly running KDE 3.5,
except... I've upgraded to (currently) 4.4.5 for kontact, kmail,
korganizer because I want the security and other improvements for these.

Briefly, the reason I'm writing to complain is that these apps seem to
start up background processes on my machine (Gentoo Linux) called
"virtuoso-t" and "nepomukservices" (2 of the latter).  Most of the time,
these things run for a short while after I cold-boot the machine (I see
them with "top"), and then go away.  If that's all it is, I can deal
with it. Right now, though, although my uptime is over 2 days, they are
still running, near the top of my process table, and sucking CPU.

In my configuration of KDE4 packages, I've tried like heck to avoid the
semantic desktop and other "helpful" nonsense, although I've been forced
into it in some cases. I know nepomuk is related to that, somehow.

I *really* like kmail... from a user perspective it's by far the best
email "thick" client app I've used.  And I quite like korganizer too
(although not quite as much :-). I can assure you if it weren't for
these facts, I would not be using any part of KDE4. Don't mean to
"troll", just telling it like it is.

What I want to know is... can I stop these parasite processes from
hanging around in the background on my machine?

Dave