[kde-linux] Re: Laptop lid actions

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 21:02:51 UTC 2011

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 12:57 PM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan at cox.net> wrote:
> Mark Knecht posted on Mon, 21 Mar 2011 11:01:33 -0700 as excerpted:
>
>> Thanks. That got it. I changed the performance settings (i.e. - not on
>> battery, AC working) to do nothing when the lid is closed and it's
>> perfect now.
>
> Hi, fellow Gentooer. =:^)
>
> FWIW, here, I have the lid events set to turn the screen off and on...
> only.  No use having the laptop display on wasting power and emitting heat
> that's harder to dissipate with the lid closed, when I can see it anyway.
> But I use the acpi system config to do it, not kde.  Whether kde has that
> option or not I wouldn't know, as to the extent possible, I don't have the
> kde power management stuff even installed/merged.
>
> But if you regularly attach an external monitor, you might want to ensure
> that any display power toggle only affects the built-in one.  At least for
> use within X/KDE, that should be easy enough to do using xrandr scripting,
> if necessary.  CLI-console-only mode might be a bit more difficult to
> script...

Hi Duncan,
   In the case of my laptop with the 'Do Nothing' setting in KDE the
screen automatically goes black when the lid is almost closed. I put
my head on the desk and slowly close the lid. At about 3/4" open the
screen goes black and power drops from 48.8 Watts to 40.2 Watts.
(Using Kill-a-Watt to measure.)

   I think I've got a pretty good setup for my needs but I need to
test that over longer periods of time I can still shell into the
machine but for now things seem pretty good. I've not yet played with
the cpufrequtils stuff though.

Cheers,
Mark