[kde-linux] [SOLVED]Re: Re: Two gripes with KDE under openSuSE 11.4

Thomas Taylor linxt at comcast.net
Tue Feb 8 07:55:51 UTC 2011

On Mon, 7 Feb 2011 10:26:11 +0000
John Layt <johnlayt at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Saturday 05 February 2011 07:27:28 Thomas Taylor wrote:
> > 3)  Guess I lied!  Is there a way to turn off the VERY annoying buzzer
> > sound that occurs in some programs when bad keyboard input occurs (such as
> > trying to delete beyond/before a fill-in box?  It annoys my wife when
> > she's sleeping and I'm working at the keyboard.
>
> Could be the openSuse bell issue, see Google for numerous posts on the
> openSuse forums and blogs.
>
> Edit either /etc/inputrc (for system wide but may be overwritten by upgrades)
> or ~/.inputrc (for just your user) and add/uncomment the line:
>
> 	set bell-style none
>
> You may also want to blacklist the pc speaker driver.
>
> John.

Thanks for the replies folks!  I got problems 1 & 2 solved by:

1)  ("Mail Notification Properties) turns out to be a GTK problem.

2)  ("Turn off all sound notifications) was accomplished by clicking "No audio
output" under "Config Desktop > Notifications > Player Settings".

3)  (Loud buzz on input errors)  can be turned off by bringing up the mixer
panel, go into Settings and add "buzz", then clicking on the mute button for it.

Tom

--
Tom Taylor - retired penguin
openSuSE 11.3 x86_64      openSUSE 11.4M6 x86_64