[kde-linux] Building KDEPIM 4.7 from the GIT repository

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Thu Dec 22 00:53:02 UTC 2011

James Tyrer posted on Wed, 21 Dec 2011 15:30:31 -0700 as excerpted:

> On 12/20/2011 09:35 PM, Duncan wrote:

>> You know how to frustrate a person, don't you? =:^(  You mention the
>> old compiler that was broken with the code was a bit old, and that the
>> new one isn't broken, but not a hint to be seen about what the actual
>> version was of either one!<grr!>
>>
> I was still using 4.4.4 and have now upgraded to 4.5 (BLFS was up to
> 4.5.1).  I suppose that I could upgrade to 4.5.3 now that I have gone
> through a major problem with upgrading ppl, cloog, gmp, mpfr, & mpc --
> they need to be built with the current compiler and the compiler needs
> to be be built with the current build -- not a circular dependency, but
> still circular.

FWIW back in the kde-4.6 era gentoo set the minimum required gcc version
for kde to gcc-4.4 (bug in kdegames at that point, since fixed upstream
as the BSDs needed it as they were running older gcc), but 4.4's was
fine, .  Maybe it'll end up needing bumped again. <shrug>

It is a bit difficult to see if gentoo has any related bugs or patches,
since they've split kdepim into the individual packages, several of which
mention the messagecomposer dir, so I don't know which package to search
for bugs or patches.

Meanwhile, thanks for the gcc version numbers.  I'm not so frustrated
now! =:^)