[kde-linux] Retain Favorites menu through upgrade to 4.7

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sat Dec 10 00:37:06 UTC 2011

On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 4:34 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 4:20 PM, Dale <rdalek1967 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Mark Knecht wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>    Gentoo has pushed the KDE-4.7 update to stable. I've got a couple
>>> of older (in the 80's) users who don't respond well to losing their
>>> Favorites menu post a new KDE upgrade. This has happened on the
>>> previous two upgrades.
>>>
>>>    I'm wondering how I can migrate their current settings forward
>>> efficiently through this current set of builds? Is the Favorites menu
>>> saved in an editable file somewhere?
>>>
>>>    I've got a couple of machines here locally which I'd like to do the
>>> testing on. The two users I'm speaking about are hundreds of miles
>>> aways so having this go correctly saves me a LOT of driving to fix the
>>> problems should they arise.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>> Mark
>>>

>> I think you are looking for this:
>>
>> /home/<user name>/.kde4/share/apps/konqueror/bookmarks.xml
>>
>> That is where bookmarks/favorites are stored for Konqueror.  Is that what
>> you are looking for?
>>
>> Dale
>>

> Thanks Dale. I imagine that's more or less the right general place,
> but I don't know what to look for specifically  in there in terms of
> finding the Favorites menu.
>
> I hope it's clear what I'm asking for. It's the links to applications
> that I see when I first click on the blue KDE gear and have the yellow
> star active.
>
> Cheers,
> Mark

I think I found it in something called kickoffrc:

mark at c2stable ~ $ cat .kde4/share/config/kickoffrc
[Favorites]
FavoriteURLs=/usr/share/applications/firefox.desktop,/usr/share/applications/virtualbox.desktop,/usr/share/applications/vmware-player.desktop,/usr/share/applications/kde4/dolphin.desktop,/usr/share/applications/kde4/konsole.desktop,/usr/share/applications/xine.desktop,/usr/share/applications/ghb.desktop,/usr/share/applications/skype-skype.desktop,/usr/share/applications/kde4/kpat.desktop,/usr/share/applications/kde4/ksnapshot.desktop

[KRunner]
loadAll=false

[KRunner][PlasmaRunnerManager]
pluginWhiteList=places,shell,services,bookmarks,recentdocuments,locations

[RecentlyUsed]
Applications=kde4-konsole.desktop,vmware-player.desktop,skype-skype.desktop,firefox.desktop,virtualbox.desktop
mark at c2stable ~ $

I'll have to study to understand the meaning of things like
'firefox.desktop' though...

- Mark