[kde-linux] Retain Favorites menu through upgrade to 4.7

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sat Dec 10 00:34:03 UTC 2011

On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 4:20 PM, Dale <rdalek1967 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>    Gentoo has pushed the KDE-4.7 update to stable. I've got a couple
>> of older (in the 80's) users who don't respond well to losing their
>> Favorites menu post a new KDE upgrade. This has happened on the
>> previous two upgrades.
>>
>>    I'm wondering how I can migrate their current settings forward
>> efficiently through this current set of builds? Is the Favorites menu
>> saved in an editable file somewhere?
>>
>>    I've got a couple of machines here locally which I'd like to do the
>> testing on. The two users I'm speaking about are hundreds of miles
>> aways so having this go correctly saves me a LOT of driving to fix the
>> problems should they arise.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Mark
>>

> I think you are looking for this:
>
> /home/<user name>/.kde4/share/apps/konqueror/bookmarks.xml
>
> That is where bookmarks/favorites are stored for Konqueror.  Is that what
> you are looking for?
>
> Dale

Thanks Dale. I imagine that's more or less the right general place,
but I don't know what to look for specifically  in there in terms of
finding the Favorites menu.

I hope it's clear what I'm asking for. It's the links to applications
that I see when I first click on the blue KDE gear and have the yellow
star active.

Cheers,
Mark